UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#36246  by muddytalker

Not a problem Liam. You were not the first and nor will be the last. We remain optimistic as ever in these difficult times but I'm sure the right decision will be made! We've been through this many times before; the last planning application was in 2008. For now its business as usual with the first meet just over a week away. I'm pleased to say that entries are coming in for the APIRA Springspeed Nationals and momentum is growing for the ever popular Yanks Weekend at the end of May.
Springspeed 2014 Flyer.jpg
Springspeed 2014 Flyer.jpg (307.49 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
Yanks 2014 a Banner.jpg
Yanks 2014 a Banner.jpg (131.37 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
And is this the end of Wings & Wheels at Wellesbourne?
WWW2014.jpg
WWW2014.jpg (64.11 KiB) Viewed 10745 times
 #36247  by ukdrn

Good news Jerry. I can't wait to meet up with everybody again.
 #36257  by pops charman

I work on a lot of large development schemes and if it takes as long as those then we will be discussing this in another five years from now. Alot of my work is on MOD sites and old airfields where new towns are the latest to do thing.

However you will be pleased to know that Bicester Airfield has been bought by a consortium who are developing it for plane and car restorations and associated work together with shows in the future. Its a start in the right direction but no good for drag racing as grass runway.

Even though my work is associated with this type of development I do not agree with it as we are destroying our heritage and associated interest such as drag racing. Just read Lost Drag Strips book to see how development has taken most sites.

Then the next issue that arises if not developed the new locals or green welly brigade as I call them complain about the noise as in the case of most drag strips or something close by that was there long before they were as in the case of my neighbours in our village moaning about the grain driers across the fields. Wake up they supply the food you eat.

My answer is put up or move. Drag racing makes lots of noise and we love it. Just ask the F1 fans who say it is not the same without the noise in this years championship.
 #36268  by IanFeltell

bring the sunday market back to shakey there plenty of runway to share :)
 #36269  by IanFeltell

with luck the development may not be viable due to the main gas pipe running through shakey airfield. :wink:
 #36270  by ukdrn

IanFeltell wrote:with luck the development may not be viable due to the main gas pipe running through shakey airfield. :wink:
The infamous gas pipe :?

Heard so much about it but never really known the answer but Is it impossible to move?
 #36274  by ukdrn

Thanks Dave. I never read the plan to be honest, I just signed the petition and will keep supporting the track but visiting it, that's the best thing to do.
 #36277  by CRR

ukdrn wrote: and will keep supporting the track but visiting it, that's the best thing to do.
Absolutely! I plan to be there 3 times with the NSA, twice at the nostalgia meets and twice at the drag racing permit meets.