UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#30813  by ahensman

US Drag Racing dull and predictable?
May I point everyone in the direction of the recent comments from the great Austin Coil (Chi-Town Hustler, John Force et al) in the "Dragster Insider" section of NHRA.com giving reason why he has no plans to return to the sport.

Basically, Coil says today's strict rules and regulations have taken all the individual developmental expertise out of the sport. Even if you have an idea to go quicker, you are banned from using it.

A few years back, Warren (The Professor) Johnson was almost excommunicated from the sport for his comments damning the (then) developing "out-of-the box", "as long as you have the money, off the shelf pro stockcars. How true was his observations? Now, here in the States, we see pro stock race after pro-stock race where the winning margin is less than 12 inches at the stripe.
 #30814  by Millevanille

"Pro" Drag Racing in the States has gone the way of so many sports worldwide.
Corporate sponsors are the governing body. What ever makes the "Show".
Hence the rapid growth of " Nostalgia". The way it used to be. The people taking back their sport.
Tim
 #30815  by Stu Bradbury

Millevanille wrote:"Pro" Drag Racing in the States has gone the way of so many sports worldwide.
Corporate sponsors are the governing body. What ever makes the "Show".
Hence the rapid growth of " Nostalgia". The way it used to be. The people taking back their sport.
Tim
I think you've hit the nail on the head Tim. Roll on Dragstalgia.
 #30816  by ahensman

Back in July, my wife and I attended Finals Day ay the Mopar Mile High Nationals. There in Nitro Alley (concessions and trade stand area for those who have not attended an NHRA event) was a display for Nostalgia racing. Prominently positioned at the front was a FED (top fueler) from the late 60's early 70's, a period in drag racing evolution when this old dodder got the drag racing bug in England.

And... boy! what a crowd of admirers there was for it. Old and young alike.

With such a big audience, I just couldn't resist borrowing a line from my ex-team mechanic, Steve Warner of Santa Pod 2-seater fame. So with much pride and great disapproval from my wife next to me, I said in a voice loud enough for all to hear, " Look, a REAL DRAGSTER!!!!"
What a reaction those few words got. We almost missed the first round of eliminations as the ensuing and very friendly discussion followed with gusto.

The oldies remembering the days of smokey, track-long runs, quarter mile burnouts from john Force, Don Schumacher driving Stardust around the Santa Pod track like a roundy roundy car while Paula Murphy backed up. Then the youngsters wanting to know all about how stuff was done back then with particular quizical comments about how the driver's legs hung over the top of the rear axle.

Nostalgia Racing is fast growing in popularity here in the States too. Visit Bakersfield and you'll see the evidence.
 #30817  by crazyhorses

Getting back on topic I have just been told that the reported FIA Meeting was held in Stockholm last Thursday and Friday. Three members of the FIA secretariat attended, including Bernard Niclot who is the FIA Technical Director, so the meeting was able to discuss the failings of the Hockenheim round of the championship and reports have been carried back to Paris for discussion there. I'm not sure what time scale there is on these discussion but I suggest that racers continue to press their FIA representatives for a resolution and not let it drift on to the next debacle.

I seem to recall that back when the FIA Championship was first created you needed at least four different countries to hold rounds. I'm not sure whether this is still the case so perhaps someone can post the current state of affairs. Without Hockenheim we only have UK, Sweden and Finland. I'm told that the tracks in Norway and the Netherlands are unable to attract enough spectators or sponsorship to fund FIA Championship rounds. Have we reached the stage where we have a good stock of exciting cars and bikes but not enough track assets good enough to put on enough big meets to fund the racers or the existing tracks - particularly as recession bites deeper? Makes you think doesn't it?
 #30828  by Jungle Pam

crazyhorses wrote:Interesting view of the Hockenheim events as seen by Tog on duty for Eurodragster and in his role as SpeedGroup editor. Go to Editors Diary. http://www.club.speedgroup.eu/newslette ... _start.htm
Hello!

I think you mean his "role as Eurodragster Editor" not Speedgroup editor. :)
 #30898  by crazyhorses

Not much new to report apart from the fact that Dave Wilson has been told by his legal advisors not to bother with the protest. Their view is that it doesn't stand a chance of changing anything. That is very sad. Lots of views and rumours doing the rounds about 2013 but nothing to publish here yet. Hope they manage to sort things out. Just watching the Euro Finals at Santa Pod you can see that the FIA European Drag Racing Championship does matter - to the racers and the fans. It does add credibility to the sport. But the interface (sorry for the management speak) between the racers, organising clubs, promotors and the FIA needs discussing if we are to stop a similar situation arising again. Each have their own set of priorities but these have to work in partnership if the total European Drag Racing Championship enterprise can be successful and stand a chance of eventually fitting in with a World Drag Racing Championship. Recession will make this difficult for everyone and economic circumstances affect countries in different ways. There are some wise and experienced heads out there all working for the same aim. It's just the route maps that seem to differ at the moment. I love this sport and the people in it. Hope they can pull it off.
 #30920  by crazyhorses

What a fantastic 2012 FIA Drag racing Championship Finals at Santa Pod. Great racing, superb organisation and packed spectator areas. The sport needed a good one and this really lived up to the promise. Thanks to everyone.

I'm trying to find out whether the Hockenheim debacle affected the TMD championship. Had the Hockenheim racing points been made void would the outcome still have been the same? I don't ask this to spoil things but it is important in the context of what happened. I posted the question on the Speed Group FB page but it was deleted in seconds. Maybe someone out there can do the maths and post the findings here.

The other piece of the jigsaw required is a statement of some sort from the FIA. If I die before that happens can someone pick up the thread.