UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#17014  by ukdrn

As you would have seen already earlier today Eurodragster broke what is probably one of the biggest news stories ever in European drag racing with the announcement of this new state of the art Tirep Motorpark complex in Sweden.

What's your thoughts on this exciting project and what impact will it have on European drag racing in General?
http://www.eurodragster.com/news/news.a ... #january25
 #17016  by GNRCUSTOMS

I have just been reading this on eurodragster.

Firstly its great news that another track purpose built drag strip is under consruction.

It could be looked at two ways in my opinion.

1- Once this track as got its FIA status then maybe it become much needed 6th round in European Championship, As the track is 2km long it can easily and safely run the full 1/4 miles for Top Fuel Dragster and have a decent shut down road.

2- Again once the track as got its FIA status they could move the Mantorp park to here as its purpose built drag strip and not a multi use race track like that at mantorp.

Personly i would like to see the first as it would be nice to see a 6th round in the championship since we have lost Gardemoen Norway. The FIA rules state that one country cant host more than 2 rounds, so it would be ok in that respect.

Its also nice to read that they listen to views of racers and will be fitting full length guard rails to improve safety.

Looking at the drawings on ED it looks like it will be a state of the art race track along the lines of many of the NHRA tracks.
 #17031  by roborider

GNRCUSTOMS wrote:I have just been reading this on eurodragster.

Firstly its great news that another track purpose built drag strip is under consruction.

It could be looked at two ways in my opinion.

1- Once this track as got its FIA status then maybe it become much needed 6th round in European Championship, As the track is 2km long it can easily and safely run the full 1/4 miles for Top Fuel Dragster and have a decent shut down road.

2- Again once the track as got its FIA status they could move the Mantorp park to here as its purpose built drag strip and not a multi use race track like that at mantorp.

Personly i would like to see the first as it would be nice to see a 6th round in the championship since we have lost Gardemoen Norway. The FIA rules state that one country cant host more than 2 rounds, so it would be ok in that respect.

Its also nice to read that they listen to views of racers and will be fitting full length guard rails to improve safety.

Looking at the drawings on ED it looks like it will be a state of the art race track along the lines of many of the NHRA tracks.
There is also a third option, they could opt for NHRA track status under the NHRA worldwide banner but that would meen following NHRA rules etc which would meen 1000ft top fuel, which , to my mind would be a wast of a facility like this
 #17050  by roborider

tog wrote:I don't think NHRA Worldwide has been considered. When they said they were using NHRA rules they meant track construction and safety standards, which are echoed in the FIA rules.
I understand that Tog, what I meant was that they could consider it in the future as an available option
 #17051  by hellfish

This is a funny thing to me because after watching the Autosports show on Motors TV the other night (sat) and listening to various people talking about championship developments and Various title rights sign ups made me start to think just how stagnant drag racing has got! Then as if by magic we are getting a new track! Which in my opinion is good aslong as it is a top notch facility(which im sure it will be). Hopefully this will increase market value in the sport and maybe more companies willing to come aboard and get a little money flowing as it is still mostly privately funded. I applaud the Swedes for the positive attitude and the "lets do it" frame of mind,I dont think this would wash in the uk! Just look at our last "state of the art" motorsport complex that was built, Rockingham motor speedway, what a titanic f**k up that was!
Cant wait to see this track, roll on completion time 8) 8) 8)
 #17179  by roborider

tog wrote:
roborider wrote:
tog wrote:I don't think NHRA Worldwide has been considered. When they said they were using NHRA rules they meant track construction and safety standards, which are echoed in the FIA rules.
I understand that Tog, what I meant was that they could consider it in the future as an available option
Ah, my apologies Paul. Slight misunderstanding on my part. I think what might be more likely at least to begin with is a change in the perceived hierarchy of tracks in Sweden. But let's get Tierp up and running first :)
apology not necessary Tog. I agree, if the new facility is as good as the projections then I think we could see the FIA/UEM round taking place at Tierp ossably from 2011. Lets hope it turns out as good as it looks
 #25151  by ukdrn

Just got back from a good day Shakey and checked the excellent Eurodragster report from Tierp and the performances are incredible, this track is delivering just what it promised it would.
 #25178  by GNRCUSTOMS

I got back fromTierp late last night having been there for the last week. I will download my camera and post the few pictures i managed to get.

Although they are still building the place its a very high class set up and will be even better once its fully completed.

A thank you as to go leif andreason (SP) as he took us on a guided tour around the track when we arrived monday night - top guy and his barn/bar is a nice venue aswell :D
 #25188  by GNRCUSTOMS

As promised a few photos i managed to get over week at Tierp. These are not best quality as i didnt take my decent camera with me.

These was taken from the race control window.
This one was taken from the to be roof top VIP area

My startline and ticket passes. No more paper tickets :D

A few on track shots that were taken for me.

This massive screen came out of a 40ft artic trailer, the Tv footage was impressive it showed the run from time you come round under the race control to preping the car ready to run, the burn out and the run and finally what goes on at the top end. Hopefully they will use this footage for the season review DVD.

Working on a top fuel car you dont see alot of racing but i managed to get a few shots from the pro finals on sunday afternoon.

Tommy Johnson JR on his 3.95 run over the 1000ft.
 #25390  by muddytalker

Just watched part 1 of the event coverage on Motors TV tonight and was left a little disappointed at the mid track camera angles. The one mid track simply wasn't high enough. All you could see was Pro Mod roofs and TMD wings near lane. And that kitty litter was awful. You would have thought that they could have graded it flat instead of leaving it like it was just dumped there. Hope no one else hit the litter. I know that Ian King did. Part 2 is on next week.