UKDRN

Discuss anything to do with modern day drag racing here

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#7833  by jaytee

Anyone got any info on this beauty,just seen it on the Alastaro report by Ivan Sampson and Rose Hughes on DROL
Attachments
0aPertti-Soronen-7 A.jpg
0aPertti-Soronen-7 A.jpg (47.92 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
 #7835  by Badger

I believe it's the old keeling and Clayton 'California Charger' that Steiner Stolen inported. Whether the chassis is the original, I'm not sure .. pretty sure that's the body. I think Timo Aartomaa (or Jonny Lagg) ran it briefly in the eighties in PC whith a coat of white paint and Ellen Betrix lettering. I could be wrong of course.

Whatever it's a very pretty car!
 #7840  by hellfish

I agree as soon as i saw the pic i thought of that car.It probably is the Steiner car,complete probably,The old blue max arrow is still running in finland,Cant remember the guys name coz its very finnish,was a couple times finnish super comp champ if i remember right.
 #7841  by MotorPsycho

It is the old California Charger car, absolutely stunning looking body. It's Marko Tossavainen who owns the ex-Blue Max car.
 #7842  by muddytalker

I thought much the same as you guys as soon as the photo was posted. Perhaps a quick check of some of the Finnish drag sites might reveal something. Anyway, here's a photo of the original from the 1980 meet at Santa Pod.

#7844  by fester

as a road car i dont really like that shape but as a race car its lovely.When i first saw this car in the seventies at the pod i didnt realise it had a name for build quility i looked at the welding and couldnt believe how good it was,i asked the scandanavian owner how it was done and he told me about tig welding etc .He also showed me lots of trick bits on the car,and im ashamed to say now i didnt have the foggiest what he was on about,thinking back he was so enthusiastic,, i wish i could look at it again.I was about 17 and my welding kit was a sip 130 out of me mums catalogue,,,,24 quid i seem to recall :lol: :lol:
 #7845  by jaytee

A shot from the scene in the pits thread as Badger described
Attachments
0aPertti2.jpg
0aPertti2.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 8525 times
 #7846  by Badger

Well I'm with Fester on this one, don't those Trans Am bodies just look the business ...
I had a bit of a thing about them last last year which resulted in a 'Bandit' NFC rendering.

Shame the original paint was lost on this as there was some nice custom touches close-up.
 #7850  by Stormin Norm

Has anyone got a picture of the California Charger against the Wrangler dragster at the world finals 79 cos
i've never seen one and i would like one on the workshop wall!

Hope someone can help
Norm.
 #7859  by Badger

Here's the 'charger' again and as mentioned earlier some nice custom paint tricks down the centre of the car. It's a good shot with an equally gorgeous scandinavian beauty alongside ..

pic from 'car' magazine Aug 82.
Attachments
charger.jpg
charger.jpg (241.96 KiB) Viewed 8228 times