UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#28365  by GNRCUSTOMS

When recently reading an article on ED there was a link to Rune Fjeld's website and while browsing through it i came across a few photos of one his earlier Funny Cars. one of them being a Mustang now the pics are not the best as they are only small and will not go any bigger but the mustang bodyshell looks very close to that of Mike Burts car.

Here is the link http://rfmotorsport.com/about_rfm/ Would anyone know if this bodysehll was ever owned by Rune? I was trying to work out if its got rounded wheel bumped or the squared off ones from the Blue Max Mustang, as stated the pics are small and its hard to tell.

I am trying to research as much history on this car as possible for mate so we can try and peice together its history
 #30902  by muddytalker

Some more of the Gleadow Bros Euro Paints Mustang bodied Funny Car from Doug McDiarmid from Avon Park. Always did love this body style. True nostalgia.
DM51.jpg
DM51.jpg (185.17 KiB) Viewed 9631 times
Against the Tantram Altered in the far lane.
DM47.jpg
DM47.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 9631 times
 #30921  by MotorPsycho

thanks for the pictures :)

Dave, this was very early '92 I think, ran a couple times with the carb/scoop in those colours then went injected tunnel ram and bird catcher in white and candy blue with yellow trims then pink trim in '93
 #32438  by ukdrn

Sorry if I've missed this but did we ever find out where this body came from originally guys?
 #32530  by PaulS

ukdrn wrote:Sorry if I've missed this but did we ever find out where this body came from originally guys?
- OK history of the body (as I know it)

In 1976 Gary Richardson had a Buttera Funny Car chassis and he teamed up with Al Hanna and fitted a new Mustang II body (maker unknown), the car was painted as one of the Eastern Raider cars and ran in these colours through the 1976 & 1977 seasons.

The whole car was then sold to Jake Crimmins (one of the "Jungle Jim" car drivers) who re painted it Black with a silver flash named as "Crazzzzy Jake" .

Crimmins ran the car for the 1978 season and then sold the car to Keith Bartlett & Stu Valence who bought the car over to the UK. The car remained Black and Silver but was re named as "Slick Tricks ", it did a few shows and stuff but apparently never ran.

In 1980 the car was sold to Pete Goddard who converted it to and econo funny car as a replacement for the Liquidator Pop and was re named "Liquidator".

In 1984 it was sold to Mike Burt who re fitted a Hemi (392) and re painted the car White and Blue and re named it "Iron Horse" and ran it in Pro Comp for a couple of seasons during which the name was changed to "War Horse" after an aluminium Donovan was fitted.

The Body and chassis were then separated and the body subsequently sold to Mick & Bob Gleadow who fitted it to and ex Priddle chassis which is the guise in the pictures above.

It was later sold to a guy in West Drayton who then sold it to us (sometime in the mid '90's), we used it on a self built chassis fitted with a blown BBC painted as a Highway Patrol car in 1999 and more recently on the ex Chadderton & Okazaki / Gladiator chassis (also a Buttera) as Time Warp.

That is of course unless anyone knows differently..............................................
 #32540  by jaytee

Irwindale 1976, could this be the body, looks like Al Hanna and Bill Dee on the side
Attachments
!!MUSTphoto45 AL HANNA IRWINDALE 76.jpg
!!MUSTphoto45 AL HANNA IRWINDALE 76.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 8844 times