UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#6686  by Glen

Looking at that photo of warhorse, although it's a front end shot, does have the style of a sarte chassis and there's enough daylight around the axle / rear uprights to warrant being a tube assembly. If so like I mentioned earlier is to become a fuel altered.
 #6687  by fester

in the late 80s .....1980s,we pitted next to mike burt and he went out of his way to show us the way the rear axle was mounted, he made abig thing about how intricate the tubes that held the axle in were.T his is what made me think that the chassis was the iron hose car also the upright next to the motor plate was rectangular.Obviously when this car was built funny car chassis hadnt standadised yet ,so individual builders, and there were lots of them,put ther own ideas in. There is a list of sema approved builders of the era on we did it for love i think.
 #6688  by Bob Jarrett

Not sure if this is any help but Tom Hoovers Corvette Showtime which went on to become Purple Power, that Gary and I ran for one of the Cannonball's, was also a Sarte chassis and I remember the very unusual rear axle mounting arrangement on the car.
 #6690  by Glen

It makes sense to me Bob, without confusing the issue the showtime corvette I believed was the chassis I had for a while, but because of the beretta body having 'blu by u racing' down the side and the fact I collected it from Cheltenham, Mike Burt's name regularly came up in conversation. My reasons for thinking it could have been the showtime chassis were it was running as a nitro car and the person who actually front ended the chassis made a cracking job. I once put the jungle chassis and the other one side by side and the difference was minimal, like it had been made to copy a Plueger chassis. It was then mentioned maybe Knut had done the mods. So I now have to ask what did happen to the showtime chassis, is there another Sarte chassis laying around ?
 #6691  by hellfish

Glen you must have read my mind as i was thinking the same thing too,we kno from an earlier thread that the body is in safe hands in london.The chassis i think had a daytona body put on it and then was shipped to Malta. Ithink i read some where in the dark valleys of the past. There was a daytona runnin over there in recent years with some kind of turbo four pot thingy in it :shock:
 #6693  by hellfish

I have heard that it has run some very good times. Those guys are some of the best around with pinto motors etc.i had a magazine given to me in about 04 and i think it was maltese,was called world drag or something like that,was in english and maltese also covers the FIA too.The mag also had about a seventy page article on danny cockerills old rover that went over there.If anyone else has this mag its the white and purple daytona and i think a couple of pages later you can see it with the body up.i will have a look,but i think i chucked it :(