UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#8243  by PaulS

Now I've figured out how you do this posting thing I may be able to fill in the blanks or open a whole new can of worms!.
We purchased the body from West Drayton (Damon I think his name was - has something to do with the a Blues Brothers show) along with a T Altered (ex Vic Hammond Mr Big mid eighties).

After building a new chassis (I was originally going to use the altered chassis but it was so twisted I ended up starting from scratch) we were given a copy of a magazine article by Jerry Cookson - the article was written by Tony Beadle and was about Pete Goddard and the Liquidator Econo Funny Car.

The article mentions the purchase of the car by Keith Bartlett & Stu Vallence from "Crazy Jake Crimmins" (who used to drive one of Jungle Jim's cars), it says the chassis was a Buttera built in 1975 for Barry Setzer, driven by Pat Foster and then re bodied and sold to Crazy Jake.

Now the above started me onthe present course and when the original Gladiator chassis came up for sale 2 years ago (the ex Chadderton & Okazaki car) I purchased it because it was a Buttera chassis of about the same aperiod as the body and was probably the only chance of having a period Funny Car of that age.

Reading the previous posts it now seems that maybe the Tony Beadle article was wrong and the car originally had a Sarte Chassis!.

Also mentioned previously is that he car was the Chicag Patrol Mustang - I have seen pictures of this car and I don't think it is this body because the Chcago Patrol body doesn't have and "wheel bubbles" in the front whereas this body has some small moulded in "humps" (not as big as the Blue Max / Stardust Body).

If i knew how I would send a copy of the article which must date from about 1980 - but then again if I was that smart I wouldn't be messing with an old Funny Car in the first place!

Paul
 #8250  by Glen

Hi Paul,

If I came up against a major obstacle when I owned that chassis was the fact people were certain it was made by Buttera. But when you trawl through the net and see the physical difference like I mentioned regarding the rear axle placement it became like a one man crusade, especially when it was SEMA who told me the builders name. The Tony Beadle article, I think did put the cat amongst the pigeons, but who told him.

Hellfish get the tranquillisers out it's kicked off again!!!! :?
 #8263  by ukdrn

Just to try and add a picture of the car in all it's versions here's Iron Horse.
 #8266  by muddytalker

MotorPsycho wrote: built for Pat Foster in 1974 as Chicago Patrol with a Pat Foster built body
driven by:
Ron Colson
Dale Pulde (1976)
Ed O'Brian
Tom Anderson
Gordan Mineo
Fred Goeski

as I mentioned in the Sammy Miller thread it may have once been Sammy's car as well, Fred Goeski did convert it to run as a rocket car at one point so it is possible

In Europe:
Purcashed by Stu Vallance & Keith Bartlett and bought to the UK as Slick Tricks AA/FC
Sold on and became Liquidator econo F/C
Sold to Mike Burt and became Iron Horse, later War Horse
PaulS wrote: Also mentioned previously is that he car was the Chicag Patrol Mustang - I have seen pictures of this car and I don't think it is this body because the Chcago Patrol body doesn't have and "wheel bubbles" in the front whereas this body has some small moulded in "humps" (not as big as the Blue Max / Stardust Body).
Paul
Is this the 'Chicargo Patrol' Mustang you are referring to Paul?

#8269  by PaulS

Jerry, yea that's the one - if you look along the front wing line the body stays almost flat over the wheels, the body in question has slight "humps" to give more wheel clearance. Also the chicago patrol car has the rear quarter lights filled in and the body release is in the front bumper.I will now attempt to insert a picture of the car in Crazy Jake guise............

That was a wasted 49 minutes of my life!

Can anyone tell me how you put pictures in?.

Paul
 #8280  by muddytalker

PaulS wrote:Jerry, yea that's the one - if you look along the front wing line the body stays almost flat over the wheels, the body in question has slight "humps" to give more wheel clearance. Also the chicago patrol car has the rear quarter lights filled in and the body release is in the front bumper.I will now attempt to insert a picture of the car in Crazy Jake guise............

Paul
...and here's the Mustang body you have now.

#8282  by PaulS

Jerry, Mail on it's way.

Another thing that dsn't stack with it being the old Chicago Patrol is that in one of the pics above you can see that the steering runs down the Right side of the car but on Iron Horse / War Horse it runs down the Left side - not somthing you normally change.

Glen, which side was the steering on the chasis you had?.

Paul