UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#33818  by ukdrn

JonC wrote:Did we ever get this one put to bed?
No Jon. I was looking at this again the other day as I thought I found a match.
 #37691  by ukdrn

I would love to solve this one soon unless we will never know.
 #37794  by oldbiker494

I've only just seen this old query, but here's a couple of thoughts.

I was originally crewing and later crewchief with Pete Crane on Stormbringer during the early to late 70's. That car was an ex-Cannon & Soares rail brought over via Roy Phelps in 1974. This is obviously not that car, but what people may not know is that Roy & Bob Phelps plus Alan Herridge studied the chassis and Asphalt Alleygator, Ronnie Picardo's Highway Patrol and Roz Prior's Maneater were all based on Stormbringer, but with modifications, one of which was a nose very like the car in the picture. Again, this is not any of these cars but it is possible this chassis was made as a show car and never raced or a project for someone who never raced the car. The wheelbase on Stormbringer was 218 inches if that helps. The wing and rollcage look very similar to Stormbringer.

This might be STBO but has anyone contacted Roy Phelps to see whether he can shed some light?
 #37795  by ukdrn

I've contacted Jason Phelps to see if he can shed some light on it.
 #37812  by Dave gibbons

It would be nice to wrap this one up. I know that when I first saw it in Austria it looked very familiar - my first thought was Stormbringer. I'm sure the way the front axle attached to the frame was fairly unique - flat plates welded to each and bolted together. Additionally, the front wing was formed from steel, if this had been a Phelps produced car I would imagine it to have been - for obvious reasons - fibreglass. However, I feel sure Roy might be able to shed some light.
 #37815  by ukdrn

Roy and Jason don't recognise it.
Strombringer was written off years ago.
Oh well keeps us guessing.
 #37935  by ukdrn

I know the nose and a few things are different but ...
maybe.jpg
maybe.jpg (393.02 KiB) Viewed 11465 times
sling09.jpg
sling09.jpg (257.08 KiB) Viewed 11465 times