UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#16134  by ukdrn

I'm going to bump this topic up again as we still haven't got a positive ID.
 #16268  by the_lovely_liz

You can rule out any of the Lizards, as mentioned earlier. We scrapped the fueller chasis. After it's 3rd crash!we decided it was unsafe to rebuild. The Pro Comp Lizard went to Finland and is now a 2-seater apparently. So that has knocked 2 out of the equasion
 #16274  by herb andrews

martyn b wrote:I would suggest Herb or EC get round to Rogers and show him the pics, see if he has any of the build pics anywhere or if he knows where the frame went....
Just came off the phone from talking to Roger, and its........ not his old chassis.

The quest continues..

Herb
 #16289  by Dave gibbons

The pics Maurice posted on page 4, and the photobucket link on page 1 are probably as good as we're going to get. The page 4 photos show quite a lot of detail and I'm surprised no-one has come up with anything definitive - I can recognise pretty much any car I've worked on at a hundred paces! It's bugging the hell out of me now, as I was with Maurice when we found it - didn't think for one minute it would be this much trouble!

Happy Christmas everyone!

Dave
 #16327  by Sam

Stormin Norm wrote:Following my thoughts that this is a mid 70's car-then it must be a TOP/Senior dragster if made here. I have looked on Acceleration Archive -Allan Currans Collection -Dragsters page 8 and thought i had solved it. there is a dragster Quarter Horse 2 by Bill Haynes and the front axle mounts are right but other things are not quite right-- its worth a look---your eyesight might be better! Now we have some better pics of the back end of the chassis you can see it has been cut about quite a bit. Look at the upright alongside the motor on the L/H side-it is smaller diameterand in a different place to the one on the R/H side- with the diagonal either side of the upright missing. Hpoe they're not going to run it like that!!!

Norm.
Norm, I reckon the chassis has been modified (badly) to take a late hemi, the oil pump was a problem and could be the reason the diagonal has been removed, Why the upright is missing or relocated I wouldn't like to guess..

The other thing that I note is that it appears to have a bracket for a steering box rather than a rack and pinion. looks to me as if the drop arm connected direct to the track rods (al la Kart).
 #16330  by fester

Just reread this whole thread,,,come on chaps,,lets id this one.As for the way the front axle mounts ive seen it a few times,didnt the fuel car that the hillbillies ran ,the one with the strange cage come from a skilton garage type endevour where they offerd chassis ,ive seen a sales brochure where this a diagramatic of what you could buy chassis wise ,,and im sure it was a bolt on front axle????
 #16352  by Sam

fester wrote:Just reread this whole thread,,,come on chaps,,lets id this one.As for the way the front axle mounts ive seen it a few times,didnt the fuel car that the hillbillies ran ,the one with the strange cage come from a skilton garage type endevour where they offerd chassis ,ive seen a sales brochure where this a diagramatic of what you could buy chassis wise ,,and im sure it was a bolt on front axle????

Bill, the car the hillbillies ran was Rev111 as driven by skilly, roland, malcolm quick, ros prior and trevor young.

I think the chassis you are on about was the fraser / skilton deal for a junior car with a sideways mounted ford v6 engine, I'm sure it was put out bthere as a cheap intro level car for drag racing (formula ford type deal)

As far as I know rev111 was the only full sized (ie fuel) chassis built and I don't think there were many v6 versions sold either.
 #16479  by Dave gibbons

Good try Sam, but the hole spacings on the axle mount are different and the whole frame looks a lot more 'delicate'. If I remember correctly, the axle itself had a plate welded to it to match the one on the chassis - it didn't use the 'exhaust clamp method'. Am I right Maurice?

I'm confident that it was built as a pro car and not an upgraded 'junior' frame - the chassis is pretty substantial.

Dave