UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#5702  by Tear101

Here's one for you all. I have seen some pictures from the early 80's of an Hillman imp funnycar. This what i know so far. It was owned by Dave Hurts and was called the animal. It started off with a crysler motor in it and then ran with a blown rover V8. In 83 it was white and blue with the body hinged like a funny car.In 84 it was white and red but alot lower and i think it may have become a door car. Any body know what happend to it after that? is it still around?
 #5703  by timetravel

Tear101 wrote:Here's one for you all. I have seen some pictures from the early 80's of an Hillman imp funnycar. This what i know so far. It was owned by Dave Hurts and was called the animal. It started off with a crysler motor in it and then ran with a blown rover V8. In 83 it was white and blue with the body hinged like a funny car.In 84 it was white and red but alot lower and i think it may have become a door car. Any body know what happend to it after that? is it still around?
I don't know what happened to it but here's some of my pics from '83 and '84......... Image Image Image Image
It was a classic looking British altered in it's '83 guise
 #5729  by muddytalker

I'm sure the late Mark Stratton had a hand in this project when it was a door car. I remember having to clean up all the glass at the top end of Long Marston shut down area when the Imp's original windscreen blew out at 100 mph!
 #5783  by muddytalker

This is all I've got I'm afraid.

The one I mentioned earlier as a door car with Mark Stratton's involvement was the 'Hustler' and ran in the NDRC Modified division.
 #5796  by VTR

You mentioned Hustler, wasn't that the one that had a small block Chevy in the rear just behind the driver with a chain drive to the rear axle? The engine was so high in the car the Holy was virtually touching the roof :shock:
If memory serves me right it rolled at Long Marston which ended in the driver loosing his life. :(
 #5808  by Glenn R

I know it's away from the strand and a bit grim but I wasn't aware that anyone had lost their lives at Long Marston/Shakey? I know that sadly a biker got killed a number of years ago but this wasn't directly related to a race meeting.
 #5809  by muddytalker

Absolutely correct Glenn. The car in question was involved in a top end roll but there ceratinly was no fatal accident reported.
 #5813  by VTR

muddytalker wrote:Absolutely correct Glenn. The car in question was involved in a top end roll but there ceratinly was no fatal accident reported.
Admitedly it was quite a while ago so the old memory may well be playing tricks :( , & yes it was a top end roll. I remember that the engine had broken free of it's mounts & was lying at an angle in the back of the car. I think (but can't be sure) that the rear axle may also have come adrift, & that parts of the roll cage had failed.
As far as the driver loosing his life, at the time I believe it was in hospital, not actually at the track. However, I recall hearing this from several people at the time so to be fair this could be a case of the facts being distorted in some way as can sometimes happen when info is passed from person to person.
Like I said, it was a while ago & the old memory may well be playing tricks :?