UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#5229  by peteyrs

I also have this fairing which i picked up at a local Autojumble some time ago, can anyone shed any light on this ?
Attachments
hagon nosecone resized.jpg
hagon nosecone resized.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 8285 times
 #5230  by CRR

It might possibly have belonged to Terry Revill. In 1973, he had a 745cc Norton named Ramases with the number DS/165 in the programme. A year or two later, and he had moved up to a Kawasaki named Assasin with the number BC165.
 #5232  by muddytalker

That’s got me absolutely beat. I have been through every programme in the house and DC165 doesn’t figure anywhere. Either side of it but not DC165. Unless it was a racer registered up north I can’t tell. Perhaps TT will have an answer. Interesting though, the sticker for Venolia Pistons and of course Ogri. When did he come of age?
 #5235  by JonC

Does the picture being entitled 'Hagon Nose Cone' perhaps link it to Alf Hagon? Or is that too obvious?
 #5236  by IanFeltell

my old man used to have nose cone very similar to that one,they was popular in them days(early 70's) :wink:
 #5237  by peteyrs

Yes most photos of 60s drag bikes you see have these on, they were marketed by Hagons at that time. Not many about now though. There was one on eBay recently that fetched about £120 ! This one is going on your dads bike eventually but i just thought it would be worth knowing if there was some history behind it. The Hagon caption on the photo is mine.
 #5239  by CRR

JonC wrote:Does the picture being entitled 'Hagon Nose Cone' perhaps link it to Alf Hagon? Or is that too obvious?
Back in the 1960's/70's, Alf Hagon sold his nose cones by the dozen, and yes, there are still quite a few around although not on the drag strip but at sprint meetings.

In the early 1970's in the motorcycle classes, each rider was allocated a numeric number which they kept. Terry Revill's number was 165. In 1972, he appeared with DSS (Street Solo) 165, a 745cc Norton powered street bike called Assasin. By the end of 1973, he had moved on to a 750cc Honda but still with the DS165 number. By the start of 1974, the Honda had been enlarged to 812cc and it had moved up a class with the number CS165. In 1975, Terry moved to a 1000cc Kawasaki but still with CS165. In 1976, he had moved to the Competition class with the Kawa and his number was now BC165.

How does all this answer the original question? Haven't a clue!! I'm pretty certain that nose cone did originally belong to Terry Revill but I am equally pretty certain that there never was a DC165 competition class bike.