UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#4328  by LostinFrance

Thanks Guys.
Nick, that is an old picture. Never seen it red before. Dave was such a fanatic about weight on the car that he would drill holes in brackets etc to save weight wherever possible. Bit ironic really, when I took the green metalflake and lacquer off and repainted it straight black, the panels were about a third the weight!
Sid, I bought the Austin after selling the dragster. Had to sell it last year as I have moved to France and there is no way that the car could be registered here. Still miss it.
Mike
PS. Just putting a question together that has been taxing me for a while.
 #4518  by muddytalker

Below is the original ad card for the car which Simon gave me in 2004.
 #4527  by ukdrn

Here's a picture of the car when Dave Miller run it from NDRC news August 80.
spirit.jpg
spirit.jpg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 8722 times
 #4531  by sid

such a neat little car....
this should be running today..............

well not today but at meetings such as the HRDs etc. :D

get the owner to get it out again!!

dont let our history fade away.

thanks guys for the pics.

sid.
 #4738  by muddytalker

Here’s a shot from my own collection of Dave Miller’s ’Spirit’ pictured in green metal flake taken at an NDRC Midlands/Banbury Drag & Custom Club race at Long Marston.Image
 #4747  by sid

ACE PIC!

sid. :D .
 #34321  by MisteR Tee

Has it really been almost exactly 6 years since this topic was last posted on?? Well, in view of such an auspicious anniversary, I feel it's only right that I reveal that I am now the proud owner of this fabulous little rail.

Some of you may have seen the ad on pistonheads that Dave Raper put up, this started a conversation between him, my friend & team boss Dave Gibbons & myself over the possible purchase of this great little car. Due to various issues, the original plan of all three Rough Diamond team members sharing the cost was abandoned but the seed was sown!! I couldn't stop thinking about it & finally made the decision to view & purchase the car, dependant on me being able to get in & drive it, as no one but Dave can physically get in Rough Diamond!! Dave & I visited Dave Raper &, after removing the top cowl panel we discovered that I could just squeeze into the cockpit!! After a lot of discussions between myself & Dave G, it was decided that I make an offer which was accepted & finally yesterday (3rd Oct) we drove up up to deepest Hertfordhsire(!) & collected the car, its trailer & all the spares that went with with it & drove back down the M25/M20 in the pouring rain! It is a credit to Dave Raper that this car has been kept in excellent condition & will need very little fettling in order to run again, I have all sorts of plans for it but they will have to wait until my current list of projects has been completed.
DSC_1807.JPG
DSC_1807.JPG (949.11 KiB) Viewed 8313 times
What made this possible is that Dave G will keep the rail at his workshop & we will modify his new transporter to take both cars & his son's Junior dragster when that is built, so that we can transport them all. Dave will obviously be heavily involved in construction of his son's rail but will assist in making some neccessary modifications to Spirit so I can fit in & drive it more comfortably. I don't anticipate making any significant changes to it, other than perhaps a new set of wheels more in keeping with its era. Due to the chassis being an old design & construction, it is only useable in RWYB events, which is fine for me as I'm a novice at this dragging malarky(!) but who knows what may happen in a few years time??

Be assured that this beautiful little FED will race again next year & hopefully continue to do so for many more years to come. If anyone has any photos of it (I already have quite a few) I would be pleased to see them. Tnanks to Dave Raper I have a file of documents & info on the car & also know most of its history, but would love to hear from previous owners. I particularly want to know about the transmission (BW 35) & the modifications done to it, I would also like to locate a pair of 12" wire front wheels & a pair of 7 x 15 period mags such as slots or Revolutions with a 4-1/2" 4-stud pcd & a 3-1/2" back space.

So there you have it, yet another old dragster dragged(!) screaming & kicking back out in to the world. Be gentle with me & her!!

Maurice.
 #34322  by timetravel

Great news Maurice, look forward to seeing it out again...

here's some pics I took in '94
013.jpg
013.jpg (282.67 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
014.jpg
014.jpg (294.97 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
015.jpg
015.jpg (276.2 KiB) Viewed 8308 times
 #34323  by muddytalker

Great to see this car out again. When dad used to race his 'Joker' dragster against Dave Miller back in the day the racing was always close. In fact dad has still got a lot of time and knowledge for BMC powered dragsters and would dearly love to race one again! I did here that the last Joker chassis was back in the West Midlands again.
 #34327  by MisteR Tee

Thanks Nick for those, would love to find those shorty exhausts! I'll probably cut the existing ones down as they are far too long (yes, I know they were put on to avoid exhaust fumes reaching the driver, but I like nitro!!). :D

Typical of everything we've done with the transporter, in order to get this car up into it, we'll need to modify yet again the tail-lift & extensions!!! :roll: The rear track is far narrower than the altered so the ramps will be too wide, so we'll probably end up putting a third middle one on to accomodate it. Ho hum!!