UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#12305  by ritchi101

hi craig i never realised that they were the same car,its only through this site that i found the info,which shows what a great site this is,as i said before black magic will always be an inspiration to me and especially my crewman hillbilly, he built a 67 pretty much identical in 1980,81 it ran a stout small block muncie an 12bolt, i went to brighton speed trials with him,good times.hillbilly knew glen the guy who bought madness from ash so thats how i got to buy the engine,the car when i went to buy the motor was real neat with alot of nice touches,i thought it was still in the cheshunt area but a friend said they heard it was in braintree essex, it would be great if you bought it and turned it back to black magic,good luck this season mate its your time to win super mod,no pressure'.cheers ritchi
 #12306  by Obsession

Thanks mate, that's really kind of you, its been a real steep learning curve in supermod, it can be a very restrictive class by the way the rules are set out, but we are starting to get there now, hopefully this year we should start to see the true potential of the old girl. Actually talking about history, I couldn't believe it when I worked out that Obsession has been in the family now for 20 years!

Going back to Black Magic - I always remember the time I was helping dad at the workshop (well actually I was probably getting in the way - I was only 3 or 4 at the time) and he really annoyed me about something. I remember getting the key for her, and throwing it in some bushes outside, apparantly it took best part of three hours to find them, dad was not best pleased with me, but thanks to Black Magic the bug for old camaro's had got me, and the rest as they say is history.

I would love to buy back such a piece of history, but alas that's not likely to happen unless I suddenly come into some money, then I'll be back on here myself trying to track her down, although I do believe that Mick 'the fish' Smith does know of her where-abouts.

Anyway , thanks again. Craig.
 #14324  by dart

I was with Terry the night he brought Black Magic. He got it from Rick Guzzi. Rick used to deal in US cars and imported loads from Belguim and was based at Sunbury not far from John Mullans house .The car was a rolling shell but the laquer on the paint was VERY crazed. The car was totally rust free. It was repainted by a bodyshop in Cranleigh. The 302 with the tunnel ram 4 speed and 12bolt with 6.14 !!! gears came from Tony Gransdens original Z28 Camaro. I remember taking the car all the way from Woking on an old Transit transporter to York for the Custom Car street championship. Traction was a major problem though - no surprise with 6>14 gears and street tyres. I remember Terry was really sad to let the car go but his business was up and down in those days.He soon moved on to other Camaros though. Good days but a long time ago>
 #14326  by Badger

Great story! We were on our way to York Raceway on the Sunday morning after that Saturday's SRC event and about 5 miles from the track that very transporter passed us with Black Magic on the back, I've never forgotten that! 8)

Speaking of the car's next owner Ash Troop, I think his boy is running that very clean white sixties Nova that's been all over the pages of ACW mag this month ..
 #14327  by fester

Thats right,adam has run mid 9s in it,car is based in romford ,same yard in crow lane,its a very nice understated car
 #15220  by muddytalker

And here's another photo of Terry taken at Balckbushe with 'Black Magic' waiting to run in the NDRC fire-up lanes. Just as a side bar, any ideas on the Cortina and the Cresta in the background?

Jerry Cookson Collection
 #15273  by ritchi101

my eyes are all misted up that is one lovely car,shame it never stayed in that guise,that car got me into american cars and drag racing, great picture jerry.