UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#281  by jaytee

Here's one for Timetravel.In the June 68 Drag Racing & Hot Rod season opener report there was a picture of a Bill Thomas-Dick Harrel Chevy 2 altered wheelbase funny car driven by Bill Satterly,I never read anything about him after this.I'm guessing he was a US serviceman who brought the car into the UK and took it back to the US,Any info anyone

#282  by timetravel

Yes you're right jaytee Bill Satterly was a US serviceman and he did take the car back to the States. He entered it for one more meet after the '68 Season Opener and that was the Big Go but he broke the rear axle, so I'm afraid we're not gonna find it sitting in someones garage over here waiting to be restored. I wonder if the car still exists in the US? Here's a pic taken by Ron Fisher. Image

#283  by muddytalker

Like you TimeTravel, that's all I could find out other than Bill set the B/Comp Altered track record at the Easter Big Go meet with a 12.349 at 118.20 mph. This record stood for one event only before Mark Stratton lowered it to an 11.186/130.21 in the JWR sponsored 7 litre 'Hustler'. Incidentally 10,552 people attended that '68 event.

#284  by Millevanille

and I was one of them! My first drag race meeting ever! I remember the drive home in shock, and how for days afterwards we talked about nothing else but Santa Pod, because in those days most of the entries were road cars with big capacity engines, like Jaguar, small blocks etc, and then you had the roundy roundy guys come to teach these "draggers" a lesson with their E types, cobras, etc

#286  by ukdrn

Here's another pic of the car from Andy Cooke

#288  by timetravel

Looks like you've found a colour pic of "Mangler" as well...... MotorPsycho will be pleased

#298  by TimeMachine

timetravel wrote:Looks like you've found a colour pic of "Mangler" as well...... MotorPsycho will be pleased
Well that is the first time I have ever seen it in colour, and now I want to see more pictures.

#299  by MotorPsycho

TimeMachine wrote:
timetravel wrote:Looks like you've found a colour pic of "Mangler" as well...... MotorPsycho will be pleased
Well that is the first time I have ever seen it in colour, and now I want to see more pictures.
same, never really knew what shade of green it was

#397  by timetravel

TimeMachine wrote:
Was that the original Henry Ford green or did you paint it that colour

#401  by TimeMachine

timetravel wrote:Was that the original Henry Ford green or did you paint it that colour
I didn't paint it, I wasn't around at the time! I'm having a pre-Christmas dinner with my Dad today, I shall ask him about it.