UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#37505  by ukdrn

Roy Webb's has been having anther dig around and with Colin Fallows doing another fantastic job on the restore
we now have another great looking bike back in action.
It’s a Velocette that apparently has held some records, it runs nitro through a fuel injection system
If anybody has any more info then please let us know.

vel3.jpg
vel3.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 15159 times
vel2.jpg
vel2.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 15159 times
vel1.jpg
vel1.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 15159 times
 #37506  by stormbringer

Re: Fuel Injection. It looks like a Wal Phillips Fuel Injector. He was based in the Old Kent Road. I tried one of those on my Triumph 500, it wasn't successful. I recall it was more a float chamber-less carb than proper fuel injection as there was no pump involved, it used a butterfly rather than the normal slide set up. I believe that it ran OK fully open but they were a bit temperamental on part throttle. I ended up fitting twin Dellorto's which were the best for road use.
 #37512  by ukdrn

stormbringer wrote:Re: Fuel Injection. It looks like a Wal Phillips Fuel Injector. He was based in the Old Kent Road. I tried one of those on my Triumph 500, it wasn't successful. I recall it was more a float chamber-less carb than proper fuel injection as there was no pump involved, it used a butterfly rather than the normal slide set up. I believe that it ran OK fully open but they were a bit temperamental on part throttle. I ended up fitting twin Dellorto's which were the best for road use.
Thanks for the info Pete.

Do you recall if many of these used for drag racing?
 #37513  by jaytee

Alf Hagon used the Wal Phillips injector on the unblown and blown version of his JAP bike also on a Hagon Honda that featured in Drag Racing and Hot Rod magazine, he sold the Wal Phillips "Dope" Injector plus Avon slicks and Shorrocks superchargers from his shop in East London, I've seen them fitted on a few cars as well, I guess Nick will have info on them
 #37514  by timetravel

I think most of the injected small engined dragsters in the 60s used either Wal Phillips or a home-made version of it...
Brian Sparrow pics 871.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 871.jpg (206.8 KiB) Viewed 14940 times
 #37516  by robbierobot

Hi there,

Yes we used a pair or 1 inch Wal Philips injectors on our bike in the late 70's
A 650 Triumph on 60% nitro we ran 11.21 sec @ 120.6 mph best
Bike number was DC120 and there are some pictures on this site of the bike and me included, haha

Regards

Rob
 #37765  by ukdrn

Roy and Julian have been having another root around have have found and decided to restore one of the most aptly named machines ever to have graced any drag strip and that is the "Wild Thing" 2 or 3 wheeler.
Angus McPhail built it as a test piece for Jade Warrior and to break the three wheel land speed record.
It was originally called McPhail's Nail but went on to be known more commonly as Wild Thing.
Angus made many of the engine internal parts and made virtually all of the gearbox. It runs the ford pre cross flow engine supercharged on methanol. Roy put a V6 Renault engine into it at one time!
The front wheel is a Vespa piece with cantilever steering.

Roy and Julian have all of the machine and can build it into either it's original three wheeled version or the later two wheeled version.
The intention is that it will be re built and run by Graham Sykes of the Syko three wheeled bike fame.
Graham is a superb and unique engineer and loves historic sprint and drag bikes as well as being at the forefront of current design and building of many current unique vehicles and parts. He also holds the current three wheel top speed record.

Julian has kindly promised to keep me updated on the restoration and I will post updates as I get them.
Being a lover of all things wild(no pun intended) I cant wait to see this finished.
WT-2.JPG
WT-2.JPG (246.7 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
As she came out of the shed.
WT.jpeg
WT.jpeg (165.99 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
As she was.
WT-1.jpg
WT-1.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 14250 times
 #37766  by timetravel

Look forward to seeing that out again. Here's a pic I took at Long Marston 1983...
LONG MARSTON OCT '83 024.jpg
LONG MARSTON OCT '83 024.jpg (58.29 KiB) Viewed 13754 times