UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#35620  by shabby1

Some interesting stuff turning up on this thread.
Thanks for the link to Animal and Quo Vardis etc,but I concentrating on Imp engined for the moment.
Muddy in my dim memory I think I recall a mag write-up on your dad's Midget with the Imp motor.
The restored Impluse looks superb,as an aside when I first moved to Hertfordshire in the early '80s the company I worked for rented 4 Whitehall Cottages at Watton at Stone for me to live in as part of the deal-It was Maurice Brierley's old place and the workshop where he created 'Methamon' was still in the back.
I got a copy of the £100 Dragster build about Mick Wheeler's Scorpion in a BDR&HR mag from 1966/67 it's in the cupboard somewhere so I'll have to dig it out when I get home in the New Year.
Cheers
Chris
 #35622  by eraider

Attachments
1968_037 ad for dragster.jpg
1968_037 ad for dragster.jpg (23.19 KiB) Viewed 11288 times
 #35626  by shabby1

I may have this completely wrong(not the first time) but was the second owner of 'Scorpion' John Rotherham and is/was he the owner of an Allard Dragon.....Avanti maybe?
Not at home at the moment so can't check.
Chris
 #35627  by timetravel

shabby1 wrote:I may have this completely wrong(not the first time) but was the second owner of 'Scorpion' John Rotherham and is/was he the owner of an Allard Dragon.....Avanti maybe?
Not at home at the moment so can't check.
Chris
yep he ran Scorpion in 1970 & '71 then got an Allard Dragon in '72 which he renamed Avanti
 #40410  by oily bike bloke

Here are some photos I took of Impulse prior to the 2012 /13 restoration, and one I can’t make claim to of it in action ‘back in the day’.
Attachments
Impulse prior to 2012-13 resto Oily BB
P1050751.JPG (395.83 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
P1050744.JPG (449.6 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
P1050737.JPG (539.49 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
impulse UKS120.jpg
impulse UKS120.jpg (54.31 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
 #40411  by oily bike bloke

Following restoration, Impulse having an outing at Wroughton in 2012 at a VMCC Sprint Section event.

From left to right - Steve (Paul's son), Paul the owner, Andy the builder and rider for the day.
Attachments
Impusle at Wrougton VMCC Sprint 19-08-12 Oily
Impusle at Wrougton VMCC Sprint 19-08-12 Oily
IMG_2087 crop.jpg (617.13 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
 #40412  by oily bike bloke

I took this shot of Impulse ready for its first run with Andy riding.

Wroughton 19-08-12, VMCC Sprint Section sprint.

Chris Illman, who often rides Methamom, has his and on the back tyre and is about to do the chocking.
Attachments
Impulse Wroughton 19-08-12  OilyBB
Impulse Wroughton 19-08-12 OilyBB
IMG_2090 crop.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4012 times
 #40434  by oily bike bloke

Some sad news.
Paul Standing, owner of Impulse and VMCC Sprint Section President, has recently died following a short fight with cancer.

I’ve known Paul for a number of years via the NSA and the VMCC Sprint Section.
He rode Impulse at the 2022 Dragstalgia as a last hurrah.

Here’s an obituary put together by his long standing close chum and fellow VMCC Sprint Section committee member Andrew Forward, along with some photos supplied by his family.

THE PASSING OF OUR SPRINT SECTION PRESIDENT

It is with deep sadness that I have to report the death of our section president Paul Standing.
He lost his short fight with Cancer but put up one hell of a fight and his humour was there up to the end. Paul officiated at Sprint, Grass and speedway meetings for over 40 years. As well as being the president of the VMCC Sprint Section he was time keeper, Clerk of the Course, promoter and Steward among many of the other hats he wore for a range clubs and organisations.

To some Paul could be a Marmite character because his nature was to be to very to the point, but to those who really knew him he was exceptionally knowledgeable and always had the riders interests fully at heart. He competed in most forms of motorcycle sport but loved three wheelers both on grass, tarmac and shale. He was always supremely generous with letting others ride his bikes as encouragement to get people more involved in the sport. A real sportsman and he really knew how to swear!

If he saw a wrong he had no fear in getting involved to put it right and he always backed up his beliefs by standing by his convictions and following through on his promises. At the same time he tried to remain neutral and fair minded which served him well. He was mentored by the late Len Cole and the late Phil Manzano, among others, which gave him a solid understanding of how it all works. In turn he went on to mentor many others and always encouraged junior riders in all disciplines as he felt that they were the future of our sport.

His other passion was 50's and 60's Rock and Roll music. Another world in which he immersed himself fully either through promoting bands and dance nights, backing album releases or just enjoying the music.

Paul did not want a funeral and arranged his own cremation, which epitomises Paul’s nature of getting things done in the background whilst hiding his light under a bushel.

I knew Paul for over three decades and I know of many who knew him for much longer. I for one will miss him very much as will his vast number of racing friends & family. I know his family plan to continue his legacy as this was also something very important to him.

The Sprint Section of the VMCC has lost one of its most significant and influential friends.

Andrew Forward

https://www.vmccsprint.co.uk/post/the-p ... -president

https://www.facebook.com/vmccsprint/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1328029 ... tid=6NoCDW
Attachments
Paul Standing with Impulse
Paul Standing with Impulse
Paul Standing 1.jpg (226.9 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Paul Standing watching his mate Andy
Paul Standing watching his mate Andy
Paul Standing 2.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
Paul Standing 3.jpg
Paul Standing 3.jpg (582.15 KiB) Viewed 3393 times
 #40435  by Flying Phil

I have just been reading this thread and I saw a reference to the "Super Joker" MG Midget. I wrote an article which appeared in the "MG Enthusiast" magazine which had some details from Gerry Cookson at that time.
MG Enthusiast 1.jpg
MG Enthusiast 1.jpg (665.97 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
MG Enthusiast 2.jpg
MG Enthusiast 2.jpg (652.45 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
MG Enthusiast 3.jpg
MG Enthusiast 3.jpg (731.92 KiB) Viewed 3353 times