UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2417  by VTR

Does anyone know what happened to Slick Willy that was run by Bob West. I know it rolled at Blackbush, was rebuilt & then rolled again at Long Marston on it's 1st outing after the rebuild, but what happend to it after? Was it scrapped or did anyone rebuild it for the track or street at a later date?

Cheers

VTR.

#2419  by sjb

it was rebuilt for the street and featured in street machine many years ago (was on the cover).It came out in bright red then changed to black not that long after.

#2420  by Badger

Dig out those early 88 Street Machine mags, if I remember rightly it was a cover car.
On the street in black paint - Bob O'Donhue is the name that springs to mind. Where it is now though in the sea of glass and steel Willy's coupe's in the Uk, is anyone's guess.
Easily confused with Ian Dawes 'Fat Rat' in street guise .. which was probably in the hands of Wal Barter at the time Slick Willy was shaking the streets!

#2427  by VTR

Thanks for the replies, I'd often wondered if anything came of it. Anyone got any pics? Did it still have the same blown hemi or did Bob sell it separately? I remember when he rolled it at Long Marston that he loaned the motor to Ron P. for Blue Way as he'd blown his motor on the last run of the day narrowly missing Doug Bond's Shoestring as it veered across the track with oil on one of the rear tyres from the blow up. I think (it was a while ago now :oops: ) he was heading off to compete in France the following week.
Did Bob continue in drag racing after that in any way or has he found other interests?

#2430  by sjb

i seam to remember the car having HEMI 40 as a number plate when in SM.
Do you remember when the car first came over in Yellow.
Had number DCA 71 on the door,think it had a 440 motor then.

#2438  by cunningplan

Am I right or wrong saying that Bruno S.B. drove and crashed the car at Long Marston? (Or was it just in my imagination?)

#2444  by muddytalker

No Tony. I think you'll find that Bruno was part of the 'Slick Willy' crew at the time. Funnily enough I got to know Bruno quite well after the first crash at Blackbushe after someone gave me some money to go into the 'Slick Willy' rebuild fund a couple of hours after the crash happen and we've been firm friends ever since. But, if you don't mind Tony I'll pop the question when I see him at this weekends Tidy-Up at SCR.

#2451  by muddytalker

Here's a couple of photos I've just found in the old photo box. The first was taken at Santa Pod soon after Bob West landed the Willys on these shores from the US. The second was taken soon after Bob rolled the Pioneer sponsored 'Slick Willy' in a top end roll at the 'Bushe.
A rather battle scarred Willys made it back out again at the next Blackbushe race. Certainly would have made a good advert for Ispon and Holts spray paints!

#2455  by Badger

Brilliant pics, say that Mr Willsheer in the red jacket trackside?

It all seemed to go wrong for the bad Willy's when the rear was lowered and suspension altered to suit. Going over twice in a season is more than enough for most.