UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#196  by herb andrews

Just talked to Dave Coles. It was Bill Archer who had the car, about 1982. Dave did not know who Bill sold the car to but he occasionlly sees Bill around Oxford so is going to find out and let me know.
Herb
 #264  by tony morris

Hello all, I can help some with the history of stripduster. My dad Roy Morris purchased the dragster sometime around 82-83 and brought it over to Germany. At that time we lived close to a US airbase near Hanau where we drag raced around 8 times a year. Anyway I called my dad today who now lives in Engand and asked him if he could remember anything or if he had any photos, this is the email he sent me.

In the early eighties I purchased several British Drag cars and shipped them to Germany as we were rather short of open wheeled cars, there were plenty of American door slammers because of the US army stationed in NATO. I wanted to make the competition much more varied and increase the spectator appeal. One of the cars was STRIPDUSTER (built by Harold Bull) which was complete and running, fitted with a
1 liter BMC ‘A’ Series, supercharged on alcohol.

I ran the car at the HARA meeting Fleigerhorst Erlensee, but found the car very difficult to get started and keep running in a reliable state, I could possible have persevered and got some decent runs but it was difficult to control. I think small displacement engines are an acquired taste

The car was sold to a local German race fan.

Roy Morris

Now I can remember my dad asking a American friend to drive the car at a race but he was used to V8's and ketp stalling it because he never had enougth revs, it was at this race when he sold the car to a German who lived in Frankfurt.
The new owner never raced the car and sold it later to Gerd Habberman who is the brother of Werner Habberman who raced at the 1980 World Finals in the Blue Swede Opel Manta Pro Comp funny car.
Gerd raced the car in comp with a Volvo motor for sevral years and then sold it on to a local german who also raced it while I still lived in Germany in about 90-91, Gerd still races today in Germany in Comp and has also a jet dragster and a new jet bike.
The car was on Ebay last year in German and I read on the German drag site it sold for 3121 euro. As far as pictures my dad still has one that Harold had given him and I have one of Gert racing it in Giebelstat Germany in 1987. Now if somebody can tell me how to post them that would be great.

Tony Morris

#304  by tony morris

This is the picture that Harold gave my dad when he purchased the dragster.

This is Gerd Habberman racing Stripduster at Giebelstate in 1987.

#305  by tony morris

This is also Stripduster after Gerd sold it at the end of 1987, in it new paint job at a dragster show in German at the start of the 88 season, this is how it was sold on Ebay.
I hope this helps Tony Chunky Morris

#348  by herb andrews

Tony

In the picture with the pop I think (well its 23 years ago!) thats Bill beside Stripduster. Did your Dad buy the car from Harold or Bill, or indeed somebody else?
Herb

#639  by tony morris

Hi Herb, when I spoke to my dad about the car he could not remember who he purchased the car from, Tony

#701  by tony morris

A new Picture has come to light which shows the car at Mainz-Finthen Juni 1980, with the new German owner Christian Hofmann. Which means now we know that my dad purchased the car in early 1980, then sold it to Christen. I think this was the only race where he show up with the dragster.

Chunky Morris

#2287  by muddytalker

Reading all the posts here shows that 'Stripduster' has been through some owners in its time but we’ll still remember Harold's old dragster when it first came out with two photos from 1966 taken by my uncle on his first visit to Santa Pod. And I kid you not, dad’s old ‘Trouble Shooter’ dragster gave ‘Stripduster’ some runs for its money in those days!

#2296  by timetravel

Brilliant pics Muddy, that's Jack Fisher's Mini engined dragster next door in the first pic which I've got a shot of on one of my DVDs smoking the front tyres off the line.
 #6448  by Harry's Girl

:D Hi Guys, don't mean to crash your posts, but I came across this thread while searching on the net for information on Harold Bull and Stripduster, the reason I was searching is because I want to build a website with pics and information all about Stripduster, cos Harold is my Dad !! There seems to be quite alot of info floating about as well as some obvious interest, so I thought a website would be the place to put it all together.
Anything you Guys can contribute would be gratefully received

Jane