UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#6492  by gtibob

Hi Jane,
I think everyone remembers Stripduster because it was unique, I used to think it was like a toy. It was a miniature but in performance terms it was giant killer. The secret must have been your Dads weight! Regards, Bob
 #6493  by Harry's Girl

Bob, my Dad is 84 years old now, he is still building quarter scale working model engines on his lathe in the garden shed, and believe it or not he is still about the same weight now as he's been all his life, he doesn't seem to have changed much apart from a few wrinkles !!!!!

Jane
 #6495  by jaytee

I'd say Harold should definately be in the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame for his involvement in UK drag racing from the early days,I don't know what the process is to be inducted but he needs to be considered.
 #6498  by Harry's Girl

jaytee wrote:I'd say Harold should definately be in the British Drag Racing Hall of Fame for his involvement in UK drag racing from the early days,I don't know what the process is to be inducted but he needs to be considered.

Must say I do agree with you on this, I'm not sure how you get a nomination, but even though I am biased, I think he definitely should be there :D
 #6499  by Millevanille

I fully agree, Harold was an inspiration to me and many other drag racers. If ever there was a "David" amongst Goliaths. Harold was the man.
I always wondered what happened the day he drove the "Houndog" fueler???
 #6501  by longtimeracer

It was either a low key meeting or a practice day, as they were called then, I think he ran a mid/low 8, around 180 mph which was a quick time for the car.I fully agree that he should be inducted. When you look at the pictures of the car you can appreciate the standard of engineering.
 #6503  by Harry's Girl

Contrary to what some believe, my Dad never bought the Houndog, he was asked to drive it which he did. Unfortunately due to an oil leak from the engine which hit his visor, he and the Houndog hit the barrier at around 180mph. Apart from biting his tongue quite badly (and lots of nightmares afterwards) he was ok, but as you know he never raced again.

Jane
 #6506  by jaytee

Jane earlier in the thread I asked about the twin engine car,perhaps Harold could give us the story of the car.
Did he build a new chassis for the twin engine car.
Did he use a homemade 2 speed overdrive transmission that became popular in the 70s.
What was the best et and speed for the car.
How long did he run it.
Did he run the longer chassis with a single engine,could this be the car that ended up in Germany.
Do you have any photos of the car.
A shot of the car from UK Drag Racing magazine.
Attachments
0 HB.jpg
0 HB.jpg (12.3 KiB) Viewed 10416 times
 #6508  by Harry's Girl

Jaytee, my Dad is coming over for dinner later today, he and my youngest bro Simon are bringing all the photos, mag clippings etc, (Simon even has the original crash helmet!!) which I hope to get onto the website asap. Started putting the pages together yesterday, but have to wait for all this info to arrive!!!!! I'm too impatient, want to get started now.....Anyway, I will show him your post and hopefully he will be able to answer all your questions later today !!! :D
 #6522  by Harry's Girl

The chassis was already lengthened to 130" to stop it pulling wheelies
No- still direct drive with home made twin plate clutch
Best speed - can't remember cos it didnt run to well as the supercharger wasnt big enough for two engines, the speed was almost the same as before, but she kept bogging down
He only ran one full pass with the two engines as it broke the crankshaft on the second pass
Yes it could be the longer chassis that is in Germany

Yes I do have quite a few pictures now thanks to Harold and Simon, will have to wait until the website is finished to see them.......sorry, wont be long now hopefully