UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2062  by JonC

Les-the-Pres wrote:You also mention Hot Tomato II, Just to let you know that's in Cheltenham being readied for this season, it was at the Pod a week or so back, It's in yellow now.
I remember 'Hot Tomato II' getting a lot of press because it was the first car in Europe to run a Data Logger. I remember a fifth wheel was involved, and I think it was more ZX81 than Racepak, but it still counts!

#2067  by VTR

Les-the-Pres wrote:With regard to a museum, It's a couple of barns and some garages/ workshops, He had a lot of stuff and was talking about moving abroad.
Off the top of my head I'd say there were 30 or 40 vehicles including things like TWO Cobra Jet Mustangs, a number of GTO's a Jag XJ220 the wifes Convertible Bentley Continental, I recognised a few racecars but my memory has gone to pot as regards remembering names.
I will try and get hold of him and pop down with a camera if he's still there.
He does not like visitors, Nor do the dogs, I know him from doing a rebuild on the 428 in one of the Mustangs, He let me use it to go on holiday for a week to run it in. Isn't English eccentricity great!!
With that many vehicles in his collection he could well open a musuem, & by the sound of it it could be an impressive one too.

If you can get some pic's it would be interesting to see what the car looks like these days, but if it's his private collection I can understand if he'd rather keep it, well, private.
Les-the-Pres wrote:You also mention Hot Tomato II, Just to let you know that's in Cheltenham being readied for this season, it was at the Pod a week or so back, It's in yellow now.
That sounds like good news. I always thought it was an impressive car & as they mostly camped/pitted next to us at Long Marston I got to have a good look at it. They did quite a lot of experimental work with the rover motor, even making a lot of the bits for it themselves, such as adjustable rocker arms. I think they went as far as they could with the rover & the last I heard they were trying the small block chevy motor, but I stopped going at that point. Does anyone know how far they went with chevy motor?

#2068  by JonC

Les-the-Pres wrote:A year or so back it was in Berkeley near Bristol and belonged to a chap called Phil Stubbs who has a large collection of cars including many race cars such as the Turner brother s Top Methanol rail, I seem to remember being told he had bought it off Wendy. Les S.
I thought Chris and Ricky Emms had bought the Turners old TMD? Was a few years ago though.

#2290  by muddytalker

The guy who owns the old 'Hot Tomato II' Opel GT is Mats Anderson who bought it from a PDRC official. Great looking car. There was a sister Opel from the same shell called 'Captivation' and was owned and driven by 'Capt Tom' Morgan' from Staffordshire. I think he was the only drag racing cop at the time because his day job was a Police Inspector. The car unfortunately only ran at a few meets at Avon Park before Tom crunched the front end on the armco in a mid track incident in 1992 or 93 I recall.

#2307  by timetravel

Here you go, a couple of pics I took at a sunny Aug 1991 Summernat's at Santa Pod of Captivation and Hot Tomato II. And then at Blackbushe Aug 1984 George Greatholder's Warbonnet Rover powered Opel GT altered Image Image Image Image

#2308  by IanFeltell

For those who are not aware that the opel gt with clifton bros written on the side there is a fifth wheel sitting in between the wheely bar acting as data logger sensor! How cool is that :D

#2425  by VTR

Another pic of His n Hers.

#5629  by paulnjuls

hiya to all ,,this is roy n marys son paul ,,as some one has said sadly my dad died of cancer in 2002 and my mum of a heart problem in 2004 ,,the last i heard was that the car was sold to a couple from bristol who have done the jobs that needed doing for road use and as far as im aware its still in the same state of tune as it was when it was raced ..when i have a few hours spare i will go through all the photos i have of the car and post a few ,,i have a very good photo collection of the car and numerous other cars of that time so will be good to look back ,,sitting here looking and reading some of the stuff on this forum has brought a few tears guys i must say ,,,
 #19743  by paulnjuls

can anyone shed any light as to were the car is now ,, need info if anyone has any please let me now

thanks paul
 #19987  by paulnjuls

well looks like this car has disappeared has there is no one with any info as to its whereabouts ,, so if anyone has even the slightest little info please get intouch please thanks paul n juls farmer