UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1956  by timetravel

Badger wrote:I'm wondering if the pic of 'Hi-Riser' was taken 76'77 as Ron Picardo's truck in shot was a summer 77 CC cover car.
There would be stars down the side of the start line gantry centre support if it was taken after '74 and Ronnie's '58 Buick tow truck was used at the Pod from 1972.......

#1961  by Badger

Thanks for the detail TT ...

#1973  by sjb

be interesting to no whot happened to that Wheelie Marina,i had never heard of it until i see it on a old advert i think it was, on Nicks site.There was a Marina in Wild Wheels magazine called "Snow Bird" but not a wheelie car.
While looking through loads and loads of mags like you do i came across this
the V12 allison had run 15.3 at 96mph and was in Super Truck magazine

#1982  by muddytalker

Anyone remember Santa Pod’s ‘Praying Mantis’ wheelie truck driven by Roy’s son Jason Pheleps or Steve Murty’s 'Multipart Skytrain'! I think this was before the tyre deal and before it crash during a truck meet at Brands Hatch.

#1984  by excompsec

I think Murt's wheelie truck is still alive and well (with Murt's son at the helm).
When it was Skytrain, it was road legal. Murt gave me a lift from Leeds to York and it certainly caused a few stares along the M62!!
At the track I also had the experience of riding shotgun when it was hoisted into the air - with a slightly surreal view through the windscreen, blacktop - blue sky - blacktop and surprisingly little impact on return to earth! :roll:

Re: the Marina wheelie car - I don't recall seeing this vehicle at York before I left for fereign shores in '83 but whether it appeared after then I don't know.

#1986  by sjb

The Praying Mantis truck used to run a Cadillac Mill before the Rover it has now dident it.I seam to remember seeing a pic of it somewhere with a flat bed.

#1987  by flying toilet

I though the Skytrain was recloaked in a fire engine guise and renamed 'Backdraft' has been at the last two Flame and Thunders...

#1988  by sjb

in the states there was two Tanks in the 70s and now theres even a yellow single decker bus wheelie machine :D :D

Back to UK machines i was just thinking it must be 40/41 years since the Corvette first came out, it was also on the cover of Hot Car,but does anybody no when the Praying mantis Truck first came out.

#1989  by timetravel

sjb wrote:
Back to UK machines i was just thinking it must be 40/41 years since the Corvette first came out, it was also on the cover of Hot Car,but does anybody no when the Praying mantis Truck first came out.
The wheelie pick-up came out in '74 and the August Supernat's that year saw the first side by side wheelies in the UK as Ronnie Picardo took on Roy Phelps. Roy's Stingray debuted in 1968 so this year is it's 40th season. I wonder how many wheels up runs it's done in that time? This pic was taken in '74 and comes from the Santa Pod Pictorial No 2 Image

#1990  by timetravel

sjb wrote:be interesting to no whot happened to that Wheelie Marina,i had never heard of it until i see it on a old advert i think it was, on Nicks site.There was a Marina in Wild Wheels magazine called "Snow Bird" but not a wheelie car.
Image Yes this ad was in the Feb '80 Drag Racing News, looks like it was down your way in sunny Essex Steve, you'll have to give G. Minter a ring and see if he's still got it! That "Snow Bird" Marina only did the shows and ended up with a T body as Dave Prior's "Texas T"