UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1991  by tony morris

I am pretty sure that the Marina was sold to Germany, I remember my dad Roy Morris picking up the car for a friend in England around 1980 when it was painted in the yellow. After a while he lost interest in the car and sold it to my dad who then went to work at converting it with a Opel GT body.

He also change the power plant as we had a complete front wheel drive Oldsmoblie Toronado with the 455ci motor.

The Opel first saw the track in July 1981 at the summernational in Erlensee and then a year later at the same event seen here.

After that the car sat around for a few years until 85 when he sold it to German Hockenheim promoter Matthias Seidler, he then went on German TV with the car and in front of 30-40 million views help being in the fans for the first race at Hockenheim in 1986.
Chunky Morris

#1995  by ukdrn

Thanks for the info Tony, I guess we now know the answer to the Marina question, it looks good in the Opel body.

#2015  by ukdrn

Here's some stuff on the first wheelie car of British Drag Racing.
The car when it re-appeared in the late 80's
Still going strong,the car at the 2006 Euro Finals now in the hands of Gary Picardo

#2283  by muddytalker

Here's one of my favourites from my own slide collection of the wheelie Stingray in action at Santa Pod in the eighties.

#2312  by ukdrn

muddytalker wrote:Here's one of my favourites from my own slide collection of the wheelie Stingray in action at Santa Pod in the eighties.
I would love to see the car looking like that these days

#2375  by muddytalker

Recently bought this rare copy of 'Hot Car' magazine from 1969 off e-bay the other day which fits in quite well with this thread...
Even though in our household we bought every copy of this magazine but I don't remember this feature and cover shot of Santa Pod's Wheelie Corvette, and if you look closely the car is performing its wheelstand just before the startline the opposite way!

#2376  by Badger

Nice work MT, I've been chasing that issue of late. Looked great new that car didn't it.

#2507  by sjb

Who remembers seeing the Wheelie JCB from the early 90s.

#2508  by Millevanille

I always thought that the Vette should have been the fore runner of Pro Mod!
Once you had seen it the once, you just longed for it to be a "normal" race car. For its day it would have been quick. If my memory serves me Roy did a couple of "straight" runs in the car. Dont remember the times, anyone? Think it might have been in the tens?

#2509  by flying toilet

sjb wrote:Who remembers seeing the Wheelie JCB from the early 90s.
I do at Avon park, Barry Sheavills built the motor for it.

It is on display at the JCB factory in America now, when i sae a program with Ian Wright travelling america i saw it on there.