UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#14759  by jaytee

I always thought front wheel fairing's were really neat,they were banned by the NHRA in the 70s because of sidewinds causing a few crashes,would they be legal on any UK dragsters today.The front ends of the Ray Hoare Turbo Saxon and the Pat Cuss Bel-Ray Streamliner
Attachments
!CID_{DEBD61BF-47E8-43AA-A894-EB990D0F9625}.jpg
!CID_{DEBD61BF-47E8-43AA-A894-EB990D0F9625}.jpg (31.1 KiB) Viewed 14049 times
 #14772  by JonC

jaytee wrote:I always thought front wheel fairing's were really neat,they were banned by the NHRA in the 70s because of sidewinds causing a few crashes,would they be legal on any UK dragsters today.The front ends of the Ray Hoare Turbo Saxon and the Pat Cuss Bel-Ray Streamliner
No, I have looked for a while, but I cannot see anything that looks like a race car in that top picture....
 #38422  by ukdrn

Sad news as i'm hearing that Tony passed away today.
RIP Tony.
 #39738  by bob ensor

Well this takes me back, I was a wrench on the sun drag race team in the 70's I helped build the f/c and worked on both the rail and the vette both at the shop and the track.
One of the first outings for the f/c was that horrible cold place Snetterton I still remember how cold it was to this day, the other thing I recall was the free promo French cigs getting handed out strong and smelled awful .

Sad to see Tony has left us I always liked him I just remember him with a smile most of the time even when he was broke after putting all his money into the cars.
Yes Tony did race Garlits I was there Santa Pod, I was speaking to Don Garlits around 2000 and he remembered the race and his e/t
 #39751  by bob ensor

muddytalker wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:01 pm While looking for the spoof Sun article I came across this one from the Birmingham Evening Mail. The photo was taken in Tony's front drive way in Sutton Coldfield, not a stone throw from where I am now.
Wow Tony and Ron Clark, as i remember Ron got Tony some sponsership from Valvoline and BRMB radio in Brum.
So the thing i remember most is Ron had a 68 Camero rs convetable we used as a push car a couple of times, and one time after Tont made a pass we ran out of fuel on the start line at the pod :(