UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#12092  by Badger

Well I don't know if they ever went doewn the track in opposite lanes, bit I'm sure Tony was in that famous fueller line-up pic from Easter 76.. It's in the SPR pictorial book (blue one I think) ..
 #12127  by muddytalker

I know its not the exact photo but you mean something like this...

...I haven't a clue who took it but it came in box of Paul Duxbury prints.
 #12128  by muddytalker

ukdrn wrote:Tony Froome re-appeared at Shakespeare County yesterday with a Top Methanol Funny Car called Sundance.
The chassis is a new build and the body is the old Bruce Larson/Rune Field/Alan Jackson/Kopex etc.
He never made it out on the track due to some fuel leaks and new car problems.
I asked him about the old cars and he told me that Sundowner is still around but not in a good state.
The rear engined funny was cut up years ago, he told me that when they cut the car up he noticed that one side of the chassis was longer than the other, a good reason why the car never went straight.
He said that car was great fun to drive as you never knew which way it was going to go.
I have been given to believe that the chassis is only two years old built by Jim Seward's former crew chief Phil Cornish for NFAA competition.
 #12129  by Badger

Bang on with the picture Muddy.
He must be turning them out Mr Cornish, the Chaos chassis he put together also..
 #13299  by ukdrn

Picture: Steve Hope
 #13311  by timetravel

that's a great shot Jon reminds me of one I took in '75 when Pete Barnett owned it... 8)
BLACKBUSHE APRIL '75 008.jpg
BLACKBUSHE APRIL '75 008.jpg (27.45 KiB) Viewed 16239 times
 #13320  by ukdrn

Pictures: Steve Hope
 #14735  by muddytalker

The 'Sundance' altered was Tony's first car back in the sport of drag racing after a spell with Brisca F1 Stock Cars. This picture was taken at the Mopar EuroNats at Shakespeare County in 2000. Tony had just recently purchased John Menetrier's Injected 7 litre Altered Chevrolet Model T, and managed to run an impressive if some what sideways 9.36s qualifying him as the quickest Wild Bunch driver of the weekend. Sadly Tony crunched the car against the armco the same year (or just after - 2001!) while demonstrating the car at the Bulldog Bash.

#14752  by ukdrn

Here's one of Sundowner.
Picture: Steve Hope
 #14757  by jaytee

It would be nice to see the Sundowner car restored,if as mentioned earlier it's still around.