UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#21103  by T2Vracing

Yes I plan on restoring the car. I am sure I will have to upgrade some of the safety equipment to be able to run the car. Hopefully the car can return to its roots . Also does anyone have info on Keith Sales or the John Watcher ? What airbase or unit were the Airman with ? All info is greatly needed

Thanks
Owen
T2Vracing@aol.com
T2Vrestoration.com
 #21177  by pops charman

Owen,
For info the car appeared in ' Drive It ' the complete book of British Drag Racing written in the eighties by David Hardcastle and Peter Jones. You often see this book on ebay UK.

I will try and scan the picture and email to you.

Nigel
 #21247  by MisteR Tee

Wow, what a find. Built very near me in Mitcham, South London. I would guess,as Nick says, that John Wachter probably did take it back to the USA.

They're still out there, somewhere, just need finding is all.
 #21273  by taylov

jaytee wrote:Amazing what a find,mag article from 67,be nice if Asmodeus was unearthed in the future
A "Bill Weichelt" was living in Hot Springs Village, Arizona in June 2010. A search of US names from Census returns suggests that this is the only individual of that name in the US.

Tony
 #21507  by TonyWhitehouse

Ian wrote:What an amazing find.
I think Meglomania is a bit of an acquired taste where styling is concerned, but it is undoubtedly part of UK drag racing history and deserves to be saved. Hopefully a restoration is on the cards for the future.
Got to agree with all you've said. :D

I was led to believe that John Watcher was based at Upper Heyford and that he owned most if not all the car.
My memory is that the motor in Megolamania was taken out of John's almost new Impala SS.
 #23001  by T2Vracing

Wow I have been busy finishing up on the MK-IV USRRC car for a show and I got these emails ... Fantastic info to be able to restore a car that has this much connection to the history of UK racing and the car found its way to a fibergla :D ss nut.

On 21 Jan 2011, at 04:11, Owen Gibson @ T2V restoration wrote:

Look what just came it ... The son of Keith Sales

First Name : steve
Last Name : sales
Daytime Phone : 01603890885
Email : speedking622@aol.com
Comments : hi i was doing a hunt for some more photos of my dads car
"megalomainia" and came accross your posting of his car, looking very much alive
after 45 years. me and my brother adrian are just stunned to find megalomainia
still alive as we have been looking for 30 odd years for this, this is just
amazing, our mum dorothy has told us about those days many times, we are both so
proud of our dads racing history. Keith, our dad died some 33 years ago when i
was 12. if you can tell us any thing of the history we might not have or more
pictures we would be so gratefull, me and my brother would like to come and see
his old car if we could, funds allowing, or with a winning loto ticket bye her
back. thank so much for poating these pictures makes us happy to see
megalomainia again. kind regards.

steve sales

First Name : steve
Last Name : sales
Daytime Phone : 01603890885
Email : speedking622@aol.com
Comments : hi forgot to say my dad hand built megalomainia from a MGB she has a
e type jag front end F4 phantom air intakes infront of the rear wheels and the
rest is hand moulded GRP. he was also working on a jet car but ran out of money
just before we moved up to norfolk UK, the engine for the jet car was out of a
lightning with some 20,000lbs of thrust.

kind regards

steve sales

Dear Sir
My name is Andy Greenaway and my brother ED Greenaway helped with that car back in SS MOTORS in Micham Surrey England and I would love to know what you intend to do with it PLEASE dont scrap or part it out,I would be VERY interested in buying it if it came up for sale
If you are interested I can call my bro and get some history for you
This car started it all for me at the age of 12 or so !!!
Andy 210 872 0637