UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#21058  by Stormin Norm
 Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 am
What a find!!! We would all like to know the history of how it got from santa pod to Arizona! Love the pic on the website of the Pressed Steel Cowley badge as i was born less than half a mile from there and you could always see car transporters with painted MGB bodies on their way to Abingdon for final assembly. Sadly they make german mini's there now :(

Norm.
 #21060  by kal
 Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 am
That car brings back lots of memories, like watching the industrial size khaki parachute gradually spilling out the back on one banzaii charge. I have a picture somewhere of Keith and Al Eckstrand standing by the car, and remember Al saying "Did I give you permission to take a photo." Glad he said it with a smile, as I was just about to apologise!
 #21074  by T2Vracing
 Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:08 pm
WOW it was a real car in the day. Anyone with data etc. Please send to me at:
T2Vracing@aol.com

I would like to restore the car and will try to track down the Airman that brought it to Tucson AZ. as we have a large air base here.

Thanks
T2V
I also have a TR1800 soon to be street rod and a H/M Berkeley mico :)
T2Vrestoration.com
 #21083  by timetravel
 Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:17 pm
Wow watta turn-up :o US Air Force man John Watcher took over the running of the car from Keith Sales in '68. I think he only ran it at the August Championships that year then it vanished, maybe it was him who took it to the US :?
Here's some more pics....
img350.jpg
VRM006.jpg
VRM004.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 572.jpg
Brian Sparrow pics 569.jpg
img240.jpg
Dave East 1967 045.jpg
Dave East 1967 053.jpg
Dave East 1967 071.jpg
 #21096  by Ian
 Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:46 pm
What an amazing find.
I think Meglomania is a bit of an acquired taste where styling is concerned, but it is undoubtedly part of UK drag racing history and deserves to be saved. Hopefully a restoration is on the cards for the future.