Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#16010  by challenger
 Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:59 pm
jaytee thanks for supplying the pics, what year are they from? hard to believe its the same bike the frame has had a lot of mods since them days, its had extra strengthening work on the front down tubes also the sides of the down tubes unbolt from the frame perhaps this was done to to accomadate the taller gpz motor ?? ive added these pics just for comparison, look forward to more pics, thanks fellas
drag_bike_759 (Large).jpg
drag bike (Large).jpg
 #16021  by Geofstilwell
 Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:16 pm
And there's me next to Graham on my Z900 pro stock.
 #16034  by challenger
 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 pm
that must bring back some memorys for you geoff, anyhow heres the frame took this pic today, ive never seen the down tubes bolted up in the centre section?? like i say perhaps to accomodate the taller motor, i,m sure you guys can tell the front of the frame is very different to the one in the pics
frame 006 (Large).jpg
frame 005 (Large).jpg
 #16044  by cunningplan
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:04 am
"i,m sure you guys can tell the front of the frame is very different to the one in the pics"
and so is the rear, with the box section bit only being about 6 inchs long in the other pic's and not all the way to the back of the gearbox.
 #16058  by Uncle Jim
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:35 pm
Blimey, a real blast from the past, the old NCK Funny Bike. I remember we did a feature on it for `Motorcycle Mechanics', which I don't think had morphed into `Performance Bikes' at the time. It had been sold to a bloke in Scotland who intended to use it on the road. You do wonder about some folks, don't you?
So it was fitted with treaded tyres and made road legal, which was the basis of the article, but there was no question of me being allowed to ride it. What we did was hang a small `No Parking' sign on the back, wheel it down to the end of the NCK Speed access road and the photographer took shots of me apparently trying to kick the thing into life. Believe it or not, but a bloke in a Transit sat behind me, patiently waiting for the thing to fire up and get out of his way! Eventually we waved him past. I did ask months later if the man was actually using the bike as he'd intended, but couldn't get a proper answer from Graham or Allan.
That's Allan with two l's, please notice. He told me once that he'd worked at an engineering company, where the secretary never did mange to get Allan's name spelled correctly, until he really put her right. "My name is Allan," he told the lady. "Spelled with two l's, as in bollocks." He reckoned she never got it wrong after that.
Allan sadly died earlier this year, victim of a brain tumour, before I could get over to Coventry and get his memories down; it would have been a great story. He was on timekeeping duty when drag racing first came to the UK and remained a calm authority in racing organisation for many years, until he decided in his late 50s that it was his turn for some fun. He took over Graham's Suzuki Pro Stocker, had a tasty green paintjob done, then bought a set of leathers to match; Grandad Nash became famous throughout Europe, running in the low 9s - don't remember him ever hitting the 8s, but I'm open to correction on that - and always quick on the lights. After all those years watching others do it, he'd obviously learned something.
Allan was one of the good guys. When I started running quarter mile sprints at Fulbeck Airfield, he was the man who ran the clocks at every meeting and I never saw a bill for his services. When I had a brain storm and decided that we'd time the bikes at 110 yard intervals for the meeting before the big Records Bash at Elvington, it was Allan who worked out how to do it. The great Brian Chapman turned up at his funeral on a Vincent road bike - very appropriate.
Uncle Jim Reynolds
 #16059  by paso
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:47 pm
Hello Jim good to see you here and cracking post 8)
 #16064  by challenger
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:30 pm
thanks for the replys and interest on this, a great thread to ! i guess we need more pics to be 100% sure due to the differences in the frame then and now, i did wonder with the rear box section being shorter but couldnt quite tell being an old pic, cant quite understand if it is the same bike why the frame would need to be altered so much if it ran so well, either way this bike should be hitting the strip again in the coming year.
 #16065  by Geofstilwell
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 pm
Hi Jim,

Your post has quite shocked me. Allan was like a dad during my racing days and afterwards to me but i lost touch over the know how it is. He used to have me in stitches with his stories or what went on all those years ago. I don't think many people realise he was the timekeeper for years and years at Santa Pod plus so many World records at Elvington. You actually did the first photo report on my Kawasaki that Graham and Allan built for me. Allan never ran an 8....i think the best he got was around a 9.4 or 9.5. But i tell you he was fast, fearless and new how to ride that bike. "Grandad's Piece" as we called it. In fact i think it either Superbike Mike or Terry Vance of Vance and Hines that gave the bike its name. we where in the states seeing people in 81 or 82, and we took pictures with us and one of them said "Thats a nice piece Grandad" piece being a term for bike..hence the name. Don't forget he was a superb engineer and invented the double rim that a few of us ran at the time so we could run the 8 inch wide slicks that had been developed.

RIP Allan.
 #16066  by Geofstilwell
 Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:03 pm
It might be worth you contacting Sandy Kosman in the States as i understand that he does or did keep records of everything he has ever built. The bike was built for Graham. From my quick it looks like it has been altered quite alot. But it is definitely the bike. I am off to the the states Thursday and will scan the pics when i get back.