UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#15960  by torment

putting this up for some one on r&s..i quote...looking for any info on this bike that me and my bro are rebuilding, it runs gpz900 motor, used to be raced mid 80,s ?? long marston, santa pod, the reason for asking here is according to jon benn who we got it off the fella who owned n raced it also had a sling shot from norfolk area, if anyone can shed any light on it, it will be a great help to us. just found out its an ex terry meakins bike.
Attachments
challenger 440s bike.jpg
challenger 440s bike.jpg (81.48 KiB) Viewed 10675 times
 #15963  by jaytee

Could Roy Webb have owned it,there was something on the forum a while back about all the cars and bikes he's had and he's from Norfolk
 #15970  by muddytalker

I think it could be one of Graham Nash's old Funny Bikes from the NCK Coventry Days!
 #15986  by challenger

thanks for the reply guys, and thanks to torment for posting this up for me, thought it be about time i joined up as its a great website, hopefylly we will get the bike up and running for next season and have some fun with it, it may be difficult with info on this bike as it hasnt always ran a gpz motor but any help is greatfully appreciated
 #15988  by Geofstilwell

I know this bike very well. It is without doubt the old NCK Coventry Kawasaki Funny bike owned by Graham Nash. This chassis was built by Kosman at the end of 1982 to order and Graham ran it in 83 onward. Certainly when we ran it it always ran a Kawasaki motor. Back then it had a 1327 engine with an MTC Big Block and Turbo with MTC Cames etc etc. I think the head came from Orient Express as well. It also had an Orient express 3 speed auto box. It was always ran on Racing Gasoline. If my memory serves me right the best it ran was 7.3 at 186. I have loads of pics. Its name back then was "Riceburner".
 #15989  by challenger

thanks for the info mate, if it is the same bike looks like its got some history to it, any chance of seeing any of the pics
 #16001  by Geofstilwell

i will get them scanned and posted, but there was quite a number of features done on the bike. Its original race number was "AC5". Perhaps some other members may have the features. I recall it being in "National drag Racer", MCN and many other publications. The bodywork seems to have been cut up which is a shame and it is missing the GPZ headlight it always had. Hopefully someone will have the features and can post them.

The bike had so many trick features on it and it was a dream to ride. Always straight as an arrow and it did the most amazing burnouts.
 #16002  by challenger

thats great news, obviously this is how we got the bike in fact its all in pieces which am all being refurbed, but this is the only pic we have and would like to keep it looking as it used to look, we,ve just had the frame powder coated and looks a treat, look forward to the pics, thanks
 #16005  by ukdrn

Spot on Muddy :)
I thought I recognised that bike and I'm sure I've got some pictures somewhere, I'll see what i can find.
 #16008  by jaytee

From a Jim Reynolds feature in UK Drag Racing magazine,it'll be great if someone could get Jim onto the forum
Attachments
#KFB4.jpg
#KFB4.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 9457 times
#KFB1.jpg
#KFB1.jpg (506.82 KiB) Viewed 9457 times
#KFB2.jpg
#KFB2.jpg (401.6 KiB) Viewed 9455 times
#KFB3.jpg
#KFB3.jpg (871.44 KiB) Viewed 9457 times