UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#15759  by kal

Used to have the gold and black Mustang pictured back in the mid seventies, and sold it to a drag racer, whose name now escapes me. Just wondered if it is still around.
I did have one interesting experience while driving th car, and It did leave a nice set of black lines on the M3 for a long time. Not what you think though.
Engine was a 351 with auto box, and I had some vibration at around 80mph.
I flicked the box into neutral to see if it had any effect - it didn't.
Idiot driver then flicked it back into drive - except I hit reverse!!
I saw the two streaks complete with smoke clouds in my mirror, and coasted downhill in neutral for some half a mile before daring to put it in drive again. And happily drove home, albeit with a rather sweaty feeling!
Anyone recognise the registration?
KL_mustang_1.jpg
KL_mustang_1.jpg (35.85 KiB) Viewed 6128 times
 #15767  by kal

Hi Badger.
No it is on Portland - round behind the prison.
It is some sort of air vent I think.
 #15789  by kal

ritchi101 wrote:hi i think i know that car as i recognize the registration, was it right hand drive? and black.
Yes it was RHD, and was black with a light gold centre section.
I think it was someone down on the south coast who bought it from me.
I hoped the reg number might ring a bell if it is still around.
 #15798  by ritchi101

hi kal how surreal is this i was only thinking about that car the other day,the reason was i was looking at ebay the other day thinking about how much mustangs have increased in value, i only sold my 65 five years ago and its worth double what i sold it for now,Anyhow 27 mab sat in front of a garage under some flats in the estate next too where i grew up in Harlow Essex, it sat there for many years it was from the late 70s to the mid 80s i was 16 in 1980',it was in good condition had big wolfrace wheels on the back, racing stickers, cherry bomb exhausts, it was a great looking car stuff of boys dreams, when i passed my test i tried to find out who owned it, i knocked on all the flats doors left notes on it,to no avail the info i got was that the guy who owned it worked out of the country probably why it sat there so long,then years later a right idiot managed to buy it but he couldnt afford to keep it on the road and sold it to someone i knew, another plumb unfortunatley he just thrashed it around for about 3 months, i think he may have sold the number plate, then it disapeared for good, i hope its still around as even though it sat around it was in good condition,dont think it as overly fast think it had a351 windsor in it my 72 pontiac ventura (nova) kicked its ass.There were a lot of american cars in harlow in the 80s and alot of this was down to a guy called Russ warwick he had an awesome 1970 mustang fastback he won loads of shows with it and he worked at custom maid, he then went on to open his own shop in ilford called Ritch & Rare, he sadly passed away a few years back he died of cancer only in his 40s, he used to bring us all spare parts and advise us how to fix our cars,i still see the last guy who owned your car i will try and catch up with him and try and find out who he sold it too,but as i said he is a plumb so it may take a while. anyway thanks for bringing back memories of good times. Ritchi
 #15823  by kal

Thanks for your information on the Mustang Ritchie.
It was a good car - but like you say, not the quickest.
It did have the 351 Cleveland engine, but the auto box did not make for the greatest acceleration.
I would certainly appreciate hearing any further update if you do bump in to the last guy who owned it.
Have added a colour pic of the car just before I sold it. The idiot behind the car would be better not in it - he takes better pictures on the other side of the camera. But it does bring back memories of a life with hair, and a dodgy taste in shirts!
Keith
KL_Mustang_2.jpg
KL_Mustang_2.jpg (45.66 KiB) Viewed 5806 times