UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#13918  by timetravel

fester wrote: ,,,,i believe harold bull built it,,,,,,its a nice period piece.......bill
no Harold built the slingshot that replaced this one in 1970 Bill. This chassis was bent up by John Hume and the Allard boys from plans in the American mags at the time.......
 #13922  by jaytee

I'd say these are the plans that the chassis was based on,from a 1965 Hot Rod feature Project 200MPH
Attachments
#ALLARD.jpg
#ALLARD.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 7880 times
 #13929  by Ian

I can't thank you all enough for the info and pics. Those old plans look spot on even down to the tie-bar mount incorporating the steering idler mount. There's more pics of the frame here - http://rides.webshots.com/album/574407613iKZxwW

The history of the car is really overwhelming and I've found myself just standing there looking at the frame in awe of it's past.

I'd like to eventually restore it back to an earlier guise but I know that the budget isn't there right now for a blown hemi, so it may get another mopar motor for now but without modifying the frame so that it can be fully restored in the future.

Thankfully I have Sid and the SNS Racing team as mentors and hands-on supprt, as well as the wealth of knowledge from members on here, so I'm really looking forward to being a part of preserving the dragster.
 #13936  by shabby1

If ever there an exhibit for a museum of british drag racing this is it.........in front-blower form it
was a real cross-over car from early fueler to FED's as we know them,saw Clive run this car several
times.......that shows my age!
Clive and Ian please get together and restore this piece of british history!
 #13938  by Ian

Cliveskilton wrote:Ian, In my excitement I miss-spelt my email address. It is Cliveskilton@aol.com ( I missed the "e"). Looking forward to hearing from you.....Clive
I thought so Clive, I had a guess at the correct one. You should have an email now.

Also, I hope nobody minds but I changed the title of this thread to better reflect the car being discussed.
 #13939  by timetravel

Here's a great shot from Drag Racing & Hot Rod Magazine of the Allard/Skilton dragster smokin' off the line alongside Houndog at the 1969 British Drag Racing Championships where Clive took the title.
96 016.jpg
96 016.jpg (142.69 KiB) Viewed 7788 times
96 017.jpg
96 017.jpg (54.22 KiB) Viewed 7777 times
96 018.jpg
96 018.jpg (37.02 KiB) Viewed 7776 times