UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#13947  by Badger

Clive, great to see your name here and welcome!

Don't want to mess this thread up, but Clive just while you have your mind on your old cars, the famed black VX/490 you ran, I'm not the only one here who would love to know what became of that body when you switched to the Cavalier? Same chassis under both by the way?

Any thoughts much appreciated!
 #13949  by Cliveskilton

Ian, Still have not received email. Try again or try jeepspeedcom@aol.com .......Also found the big trophy in recent pics yesterday. I will take a look in my spam mail.
Badger, The VX 4/90 went to Roland Pratt. I bought that chassis from Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen out of his garden in Fountain Valley, Ca. The Cavalier was build brand new by Kosty Ivanov "The Boston Shaker". I lived with him for 2 weeks to get it finished.
 #13956  by Ian

fester wrote:This chassis turned up about 3 years ago,it was found under a pile of old tyres near roneo corner romford,by a romford guy called mark ,it then came here as it had been bought by tony d ,a racer without seeing it ,on flebay,we condemned it for modern msa use,,,,but of course didnt realise its heritage!!!!! .......bill
I knew that just had to be Mark Spooner so gave him a shout late last night.... it was him alright! He was delivering to a yard when he saw a shiny tube sticking out from under a pile of tyres, he finally realised it was a dragster frame and eventually managed to buy it. He had it mocked it up in his yard but never really got anywhere with it so sold it on ebay.... to Tony D... then it got sold at least twice again before ending up with the lads near to me.

Mark always wondered if it had any heritage or even if it ever ran... I passed on the news to him and he is genuinely over the moon, after all he saved it initially and put it back into circulation.
 #13962  by fester

Of coarse,it was mark spooner,when the car was in our yard,,we never owned it,,some features stood out ,obviously the stainless tube,also it was welded with stainless rod as welds hadnt rusted,,,the sweeping shoulder hoop,which was nice,,the attempt to put the front rose joints in double shear where they meet the chassis,,,original according to the crazy horse book,and the dropped seat base bar.I knew the car was old and i was sure i had seen a picture on one of these sites where it acctually said,,,,the chassis is made of stainless.It looked someone in recent times had grafted a double master cylinder bracket to it as the welding was different,,,,,,also the front torsion bar tube was empty but the bracketry looked like pat cuss stylie but maybe pat cuss copied this cars bracketry.Glad its gone to a good home.Now the wet blanket stuff,,i was at famoso 16 months ago,and stood and watched while a nutter paid 14000(fourteen thousand}dollars for a complete potvin blower assembly which was mocked onto a small block,it also looked as though it had been living at the bottom of the sea......xxxxbill
 #13963  by sid

296moon wrote:Ian, dont know about over moon Iam in shock!, it very nearly got cut to make a dragster style barbeque but couldent bring myself to do it, Very glad I dident!
welcome to the forum mr moon.... :D

and im so glad you didnt chop it up... :wink:

first dibs on any other old tat your thinking of choping up :lol:

Sid.