UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#13769  by twolanes

John told me he sold both engines to a healy owner that raced, but i dont know what type of racing.
 #13821  by jaytee

40Stude wrote:
PaulS wrote:There was a car that turned up at the Hot Rods & Nostalgia meetings a couple of times in the mid 90's with twin Rover V8's (that would be 430CItotal) - strange set up if I remember as the driver sat very high totally above the rear axle and not behind it with legs over the tubes as you would expect from a slingshot, think it ran 12's!. Pretty sure it came from Swindon (seem to remeber Scottie Durrant went to look at it just before he bought his first altered)- maybe a typo or it appeared again with different engines.

Paul

John O'Sullivan built a twin engined slingshot specifically for the Hot Rod Drags one year, that would have been very rearly nineties from memory. Don't think it ever ran well, but it was only built for a laugh.
From the race report on the 94 Hot Rod Drags in Street Machine,photo by Jon Hill or Matthew Howell
Attachments
#aHRD.jpg
#aHRD.jpg (255.35 KiB) Viewed 10166 times
 #13906  by taylorlee

twolanes wrote:Hi guys. TWIN JYNX was indeed built by John Harrison. It was built in 1969 to replace the single engined "JYNX" (which ended up buried under John,s garden). TWIN JYNX only raced for 1 season then went on the show curcuit for a few years.It had 2 austin healey 4 cyl engines, blown running on nitro, John hand made the injectors as he couldnt find any that would do the job.I bought it from John about 20 years ago now and ran it with 1 460 ford engine. I sold it to a mate about 5/6 years ago now, its having another 460 ford engine put in again. I dont know when it will be out. If anyone wants any more info email me on twolanes@blueyonder.co.uk. Dave.
hi dave how,s it going
might be the wrong bloke (but i rember me old man (mick taylor) taking someone around johns to buy twin jinx years ago, pretty sure it was you, if so hows it going mate
lee
 #20347  by SteveG100

Hi, This is the first time I've used the forum, so hope this works OK! I was just reading through the messages back in 2009 about John Harrison and his car Twin Jynx. I bought the engines from John: as one of the messages suggested they were intended for a Healey 100 circuit racer project about 20 years back. I bought them stripped down and used some of the parts in my car. However I've still got the original engines and most, but not all of the parts: time to dust them off and see what's there I guess! Has anyone got any more info on John and his car? Cheers.
 #20350  by Flying Phil

Hi and welcome Steve
There is some information about John Harrison in the "Crazy Horses" book but I believe he built three dragsters. I can e-mail you an article that I wrote (but was not published) about Healey drag racers if you pm me your e mail address.
 #20351  by SteveG100

Hi Phil,
Thanks for the reply. I'd really appreciate reading the article........but I've no idea how to "pm an email"!
I've tried looking through the FAQ on the site, but I still couldn't spot the idiot's guide that someone like me needs around anything to do with a computer! Happy to send you my e-mail if you can tell me how!
Having posted the message yesterday, I was looking through the site some more last night and I could see there were quite a few great pictures of John Harrison's single Healey engined car, plus a good one of the twin Healy engined car, which made me realise I've only got some of the core engine hardware, not the superchargers, other fuel system parts or exhaust pipes unfortunately.
Also saw some recent messages that suggested that the Twin Jynx car is still about and being rebuilt which is interesting. I can remember seeing the car in John's garage when I bought the engine parts, but back then all I was really focused on was trying to get my Healy sorted for the track.......wish I'd known a bit more of the car's history back then and kept everything together, rather than just getting the engine hardware.
Cheers Steve
 #20433  by Flying Phil

Hi Steve
I've tried to upload the article but it won't allow the file - and you are correct, this website does not allow Personal Messages - If you go on the "Healey Forum" I can pm my email to you on that.
 #26625  by Flying Phil

Just to update this the Twin jynxx enginless dragster is up on E bay Now. What an opportunity to resurrect the 70's set up!