UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#34187  by blackie

Hi all,
I purchased the Coupe from Keith Dancey for £100.00 in approx 1978.I borrowed Ollie Burns van and collected the chassis and body from a workshop in Eaton Socon where Ian Messenger prepped his drag bike.
I fitted the chassis with the narrowed 8 3/4 axle from the Shaw/Gibbons Alkymist slingshot.I also fitted a 354 Chrysler engine.The front wheels were the same ones that Liz Burn went ploughing with at 204 mph!
The rears were for show purposes only as they had barrel rolled whilst attached to a yellow Austin A35 from Bridport. The body was painted white for a photo shoot for the MK Gazette and for the Town and Country Festival at the Royal Showground.I purchased the enclosed steel trailer from the Alkymist team which was stolen in approx 1981 with the Coupe chassis inside. I found the trailer in 1983 totally repainted on an estate in Milton Keynes called Tinkers Bridge,it was unlocked but alas no chassis inside. It was never to be seen again sadly.I sold the axle and engine seperately so I did get something back.
I am in contact with the Millar family in the USA and they are aware of the Coupes demise.
 #34211  by ukdrn

Well now we know another important piece of this story thank you very much for the info.
Now I can't help wondering if the car is still around :? I guess we'll never know.
 #34212  by herb andrews

blackie wrote: The body was painted white for a photo shoot for the MK Gazette and for the Town and Country Festival at the Royal Showground.
Hi Martin

Do you have any pictures from when you owned the Coupe?

Was the 8 3/4 axle originally fitted to 'Tudor Rose', which turned into the Shaw/Gibbons 'Alkymist' slingshot.

What's the history on the 354 Chrysler?

See you at Bakersfield?

Herb
 #34274  by blackie

What great interest this car still creates.
I do have the original photo taken by the Milton Keynes Gazette which I will post when I can find it.
The 354 was an A block which came from a Chrysler Windsor in Don Impsen's yard in Leighton Buzzard although it had Spitfire heads at the time. I don't think the axle was from the original Tudor Rose,Vince Shaw would know.
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it to Bakersfield this year so I hope you all have a great time as ever!
 #34499  by blackie

Hi herb and all others interested.I've found the last photo of Chicken Coupe and posted it on my facebook page because I'm not clever enough to post it on the forum! Doh!
If anybody can do it from facebook to here please feel welcome to do so.
I'd forgotten that I did acquire hemi heads for the car.
The headers were given to me by gentleman Jim Read which I gave back to him when his broke
 #34506  by Roy.F

Here it is
Attachments
1186672_678577442154172_1163456052_n.jpg
1186672_678577442154172_1163456052_n.jpg (47.02 KiB) Viewed 9510 times
 #34508  by jaytee

nice shot, shame the story ended like that, same thing happened to me and a mate when we bought the More Trouble chassis