UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#8164  by CLIFFJONES

Hi Herb.
'Fraid not. As you know, I sold my share in it and lost touch with the car. I was surprised to find out
that it wasn't active after 1973.
If you haven't contacted Mike Treutlein yet, try contacting his daughter Jayne, who was handling
his emails a few year ago. Apparently Mike prefers his garage space to cyberspace. :-)
Good Luck in your search.
Best wishes, Cliff Jones.
BTW, We ran Crescent Coupe with a Chevy 302cid Formula 5000 engine, not a Ford.
I didn't completely give up on Chevy power, here's my latest.
Attachments
Elco01.jpg
Elco01.jpg (146.15 KiB) Viewed 10368 times
 #8169  by herb andrews

Thanks for that Cliff. Nice car, guess you miss the GB rain, not..

Do you have Jaynes Email address? if you do can you pass mine (wilcor@budroyal.freeserve.co.uk) on and ask her to contact me.

How about any pictures that have not already been shown on here?

The blown Ford I was referring to was the one fitted prior to it leaving the US.

Herb
 #8192  by CLIFFJONES

Hi Herb.
Here are some more images of Crescent Coupe, one during build, and the others at the Pod,
I was driving that weekend. I hesitated in including the first one, but it's a good picture of Mike
doing his Stan Laurel impression. The guy on the right was a friend of Mike's, I think his name is Peter.
(These shots are also posted on Dave Kipling's excellent website: http://www.oldstox.com)
I found the info about Mike here, it's a forum discussing John Woolfe: http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/archive ... 32029.html
It's a few years old but I hope it helps.
Best regards, Cliff Jones.
Attachments
cres4.jpg
cres4.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
cres3.jpg
cres3.jpg (67.69 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
cres2.jpg
cres2.jpg (253.41 KiB) Viewed 10231 times
cres1.jpg
cres1.jpg (337.8 KiB) Viewed 10230 times
 #8195  by jaytee

Great photos Cliff,what was the condition of the car when you got,was there much weather damage on the car.
 #8199  by CLIFFJONES

The car was in JWR's shop (last picture) when I first saw it. There was no sign of weather damage at all.
Mike had been working on it for quite a while and was running short of funds to finish it. I purchased a half share from him and he bought the rest of the parts he needed.
I don't remember the amount I paid, but based on the 10x inflation since 1970 it was probably around £1000.
Mike was an employee of JWR at the time and although Mike worked on the car in his own time when it was finished JWR manager Dave Riswick decided I owed him some money as well, and sent me an invoice for several hundred pounds. Needless to say, I disagreed with this, and with Mike's cooperation decided to collect the car from JWR early one Saturday morning. As I towed the car down St.Neots High Street heading home, Dave Riswick happened to pass by in the late John Woolfe's Gordon Keeble on his way to open up shop.
I'll never forget the look on his face when he saw us. Something like this:- :shock:
I don't remember how the matter was resolved but relations between me and Dave were strained for a while afterwards.
Regards to all (and Dave),
Cliff Jones.
 #8369  by mike treutlein

Hello Herb and Cliff,
No need for my daughters email !!
I'm still around and I'm still looking for the car too.
After the last race in 1974 it was decide to go rear engined and as by now I had a family I was no longer in a position to spend the sort of money required to build a new car and Keith Dancey agreed to buy my share of the car for £350. Keith and Julian Sutton started the new project and I helped out by rebuilding the original Chevy engine ( the F5000 ) the chasis was designed with the help of a Revell plastic model of a Khule and Olson car . They did get the car to the Pod on at least one occasion it may have been called "Leviathon ".
So what has happened to the car remains a mystery.............. "unless of course someone out there knows different " .
Regards to all
Mike
 #8498  by CLIFFJONES

Hi Mike.
It's good to hear from you after all these years. Here's another picture I found of Crescent Coupe
showing the incredible engine you built. I didn't even know what a Carrillo rod was until I met you.
Best regards, Cliff Jones.
Attachments
cres5.jpg
cres5.jpg (528.15 KiB) Viewed 10228 times
 #8820  by CLIFFJONES

Here are a few more shots of Crescent Coupe I found. Two more in JWR's shop in late 1969 and a couple at the Pod in 1970. Notice the original artwork of the old NDRC logo in the background in one shot.
The drivers' eye view is interesting, and the one at the finish line at about 140 mph with the lid partly open.
This happened every run over the notorious Santa Pod finish line bumps at anything over 90 mph.
That's all, folks. I have a few more pictures to post but I think that's enough of Crescent Coupe for now.
I don't want to wear out my welcome. :-)
Regards to all, Cliff Jones.
Attachments
cres-view.jpg
cres-view.jpg (188.76 KiB) Viewed 10225 times
cresfinish2.jpg
cresfinish2.jpg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 10228 times
cresfront.jpg
cresfront.jpg (221.31 KiB) Viewed 10227 times
crestop.jpg
crestop.jpg (177.44 KiB) Viewed 10228 times
 #10032  by gold digger

I read in a book the other day that it was going to be shipped back to the states from I think, Sweden and the container fell overboard in the docks. I will check the facts when I get home
 #10036  by gold digger

Looks like that info was posted earlier, my mistake. What a car though just about the prettiest dragster I came across as a kid