UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#11821  by ukdrn

Yet another gem from jaytee's collection.
Click for bigger
1DW HR1.jpg
1DW HR1.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 9337 times
1DW HR2.jpg
1DW HR2.jpg (174.62 KiB) Viewed 9342 times
1DW HR3.jpg
1DW HR3.jpg (150.89 KiB) Viewed 9338 times
 #11824  by martyn b

I remember seeing Dragwaye run in several of its guises, and it always impressed, perhaps because it was so different to other 2 wheelers, and to me it kindof underlines how people back then were prepared so much more to try "outside the box" solutions to going quicker/faster and sometimes having some success.
What I haven't seen before is that pencilled in streamliner outline on the line drawing. What a pity that was never built, it looks neat and would have been great for events like the Elvington records weekend, and I suspect the machine may well have acheived a greater fame or at least a higher "memory factor" with that disguising its novel approach.
 #13494  by jaytee

Duxford 1967
Attachments
#DUXFORD 67 dw.jpg
#DUXFORD 67 dw.jpg (565.04 KiB) Viewed 9325 times
 #14017  by yowl

The Drag-Waye (my Dads bike), had three "Mk"s. MkI and MkII both had the seat behind the wheel, the difference was the frame. MkIII was made upon the request of Dave Lecoq when he took over the riding as he preferred the position of lying over the rear wheel. There are no pictures of the MkII in this thread, you can imagine it as the frame of the MkIII with the seat of the MkI.

--
Scott
 #14101  by ukdrn

yowl wrote:The Drag-Waye (my Dads bike), had three "Mk"s. MkI and MkII both had the seat behind the wheel, the difference was the frame. MkIII was made upon the request of Dave Lecoq when he took over the riding as he preferred the position of lying over the rear wheel. There are no pictures of the MkII in this thread, you can imagine it as the frame of the MkIII with the seat of the MkI.

--
Scott
Welcome Scott and thanks for the info, do you have any pictures you could share at all?
 #14105  by Kelvin Fagan

If, I can find it, I will post a photo of what I think might be the same machine that I took at a sprint event at Waterbeach airfield just outside Cambridge.
 #14683  by Kelvin Fagan

I shot this at sprint meeting at Waterbeach, just outside Cambridge.
dont-try-this-at-home.jpg
dont-try-this-at-home.jpg (21.55 KiB) Viewed 10095 times
 #14684  by Kelvin Fagan

I dont think its the same, but interesting none the less!?

Kelv
 #14688  by Flying Phil

The latest pics do seem to be of a different bike - is it blown Hillman Imp powered??
Both it and the "Drag Wayes" are very logical - albeit scarey, drag racing/sprinting devices!!
 #14692  by jaytee

Jim Balchin used a similar rear engine set up with I think a BSA Gold Star engine,here's 1 from the Scary Rides thread,Ivor Lawton.
Attachments
#sr1.jpg
#sr1.jpg (28.59 KiB) Viewed 9821 times