UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#9460  by Ian

The time has come to start looking for more info and photos of Mick Cheley's old car, Mr Shifter.
Originally built around 1980 although it doesn't look the best part of 28 years old.

I should be able to start rebuilding the car in the new year but could really use more info as I'd like to put it back to how it once was, and as there are lots of bits missing, that's the biggest hurdle.
I have the original frame, (damaged) original body, dash, steering column and misc interior parts, rear axle, wheels and slicks.
I have pics and film footage from Nick Pettitt (Timetravel), and also an old copy of Street rod & Machine from April '83 featuring the car in it's first, gold metalflake guise.

Any pics, info, or memories would be very much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know if Mick is still racing or building another car since selling his Calibra?
Attachments
Mr Shifter 1.JPG
Mr Shifter 1.JPG (828.8 KiB) Viewed 11360 times
 #9497  by NitroWars

I believe Mick has hung up his firesuit for good...

I have a telephone number for him and I left a voicemail for him to get in touch with me. If he does, I'll bring this thread to his attention.
 #9501  by fester

If you can make that car look like that now,,,that will be something to see,
 #9514  by ukdrn

Good luck with the project, here's one for now, I will dig out a few others soon.
Shift.jpg
Shift.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 11387 times
Nick J Worsell
 #9539  by sid

hey theres some detail there for you ian... brilliant!
even down to the michelin 2cv front tyres... :D

i cant help seeing it as a gasser... :?

is the body a "brody" roadster? the same as the Curbishly car? :?

Sid.
 #9562  by herb andrews

sid wrote:is the body a "brody" roadster? the same as the Curbishly car? :?Sid.
Sid, no its not a Warren Brogie body. Pat Cuss made it, mine was the second out of the mould after Micks.
Herb
 #9568  by Ian

WOW, superb pics there :D Many thanks for posting them.
Any pics and info received is greatly appreciated as it all helps with the resto job.

Sid, the body is a Pat Cuss special, starting with a Jago '23 T bucket which was modified extensively before a mould was taken to produce the race bodies. The body, rear fenders and running boards are all one piece. The bonnet/ grille and individual front fenders dzus fasten to the frame.
 #9585  by jaytee

Sid, no its not a Warren Brogie body. Pat Cuss made it, mine was the second out of the mould after Micks.
Herb[/quote]

It's amazing how many different bodies Pat Cuss has produced over the years
 #9606  by sid

jaytee wrote:It's amazing how many different bodies Pat Cuss has produced over the years
not only glass ones either?

he made the bodywork on my old slingshot too.. and painted it... when it was red...sorry cant do pics. :? Destiny.. ( richard dawsons Enforcer)

Sid.

Ian, what size are those front wheels?