UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#28687  by TonyWhitehouse

It's great to see that Mick's 'T' may well be up and running again.

I wonder how many know just why the car was called "Mr Shifter"?

Mick first approached us at ATRS (perhaps better known as ATP) when he wanted a high stall converter for his Dodge Super Bee. Initially we supplied just the converter, eventually going on to sponsor the complete trans and converter assembly. In exchange Mick carried a large blown up copy of our company "Mr Shifter" decal on the side of the Dodge.
As the 'T' was nearing completion Mick suggested that if we continued our sponsorship instead of just carrying a decal he would actualy name the car "Mr Shifter". As they say the rest is history.
 #28719  by beachcomber550

Another name from the past - Tony, remember the boxes you used to repair / upgrade for me at Muscle City ?

I think my partner in Muscle City - Craig [ RIP ] - was the first to use your services - remember the "Mexican Missile" ?
 #28727  by TonyWhitehouse

Terry, good to see you're still around, however really sorry to hear Craig's not.

I certainly do remember doing business with you, in both directions. Rebuilds and mods for you (Muscle City) and hi-po and customising parts for us (ATP). Lot's of Thrush mufflers as I re-call.lol

Who could forget the "Mexican Missile", what a load of fun to drive that was! Do you happen to have a pic of it?

All the best, Tony
 #28737  by beachcomber550

TonyWhitehouse wrote:Terry, good to see you're still around, however really sorry to hear Craig's not.

I certainly do remember doing business with you, in both directions. Rebuilds and mods for you (Muscle City) and hi-po and customising parts for us (ATP). Lot's of Thrush mufflers as I re-call.lol

Who could forget the "Mexican Missile", what a load of fun to drive that was! Do you happen to have a pic of it?

All the best, Tony
Unsolicited testimonial - these guys are GOOD !!!!!!!

I'm currently going through the boxes in the loft for some pix of the Missile. As Muddytalker said - I crashed the Birmingham pre- race cavalcade [ Martin Hone ] in the Missile and proceeded to do burnouts round the whole course. I was slotted in behind the Bugattis I seem to remember. Yes, I know - hooligan, hands up !

Craig sadly lost his battle with the big C last year .......oh the stories.
 #29273  by DaveysDelivery

ukdrn wrote:Loads on info on the car here.
http://sb-vintageservices.co.uk/drag-ra ... -roadster/
Beat me to it, I was just about to post this having been alerted to it by Dragracerdave. Unbelievable in depth account of the cars history, there's so many details shown here which I wanted to know about the car.

I now own the car outright, my boss Martin Green asked me to buy him out after making it possible to take on the car and get it to a rolling stage. Its on the backburner at the moment but I fully intend to see this one through, I don't think my old man would believe that I own this now it was one of our favourite Super Gassers at York and the Pod in the eighties :)
 #32510  by Mongoose27T

Hi Terry,
It looking forward to seeing the photos of Brabham and Moss in the Sheldonhurst. Understood about them being buried though, my loft is similar, so as and when.
Cheers, Mike
 #32594  by PaintermanVic

No prob on that Tony. I also have a professionally-taken photo of the Mexi-Miss shot from above/front which I'll try to send soon, but it's a bit more involved as it'll need to be taken out of it's frame, scanned in two passes due to it's large size, and "joined" together in PhotoShop, so bear with me on that.

Cheers, Vic
 #33087  by muddytalker

A few from the late seventies and early eights of Mr Shifter. How is the restoration going? Does anyone know...
JC 173.jpg
JC 173.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 8255 times
JC 183.jpg
JC 183.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 8255 times
Jeremy Cookson Collection