UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#8375  by sid

what ever happened to all the wonderfull car transporters from the 60s, one ive never seen but was told about at the weekend was owned by G.H Nolan and apparently a streched mk9 jaguar,

wouldnt it be great to find it in some barn full of petrol and needing its tyres pumped up and the windscreen cleaning ready to go.................. :?

i know! i know! but i live in hope?

a picture would do for now though? anyone?

Sid.
 #8376  by PhilSweeney

they rotted, became uneconomical to repair and generally got replaced for better, more practical transport !

I like your new trailer Sid, but why an open trailer ? all that trouble painting and polishing !
 #8378  by Glenn R

Good thread, I believe that the Stones V8 engined Ford Thames van is still around somewhere.

What about the transporter for Blue Rose, we used to wait it arriving in the dark, also Keith Potter's see through trailer for The Devil with lights inside to show off that beautiful car and of course no one will ever forget the Page's Panic, fire engine to name but a few.
 #8379  by sid

PhilSweeney wrote:they rotted, became uneconomical to repair and generally got replaced for better, more practical transport !

I like your new trailer Sid, but why an open trailer ? all that trouble painting and polishing !
phil that answers too definate..... theres no romance in it.... :lol:

do you really need to ask why an open trailer??.
(apart from the fact its cost me about £350 up to now)
o and meat gets carried in white box's... :D .

i remember seeing a type of cabover transporter at the pod only a few years ago. what was that for?.

got any pics of any glenn mentioned.

Sid.
 #8389  by PhilSweeney

I know what you mean mate, open trailers are great, the thumbs up and toots on the motorway etc...but that all goes out the window when our liquid sunshine appears ! i'll be going back to either an open trailer or small box a the end of the year, won't be racing much next year so doesn't warrant having the bus.
 #8390  by TimeMachine

Glenn R wrote: What about the transporter for Blue Rose, we used to wait it arriving in the dark, also Keith Potter's see through trailer for The Devil with lights inside to show off that beautiful car and of course no one will ever forget the Page's Panic, fire engine to name but a few.
This sounds like a thread crying out for photos! I've seen pics of the Panic fire engine somewhere but cannot remember where, pictures of the other would be good too.

I saw a Commer camper van for ssale the other day and thought about buying it buit what I'd really like is a ramp truck (much like the one at the pod) with a slingshot on the back.
 #8397  by Flying Phil

PhilSweeney wrote:I know what you mean mate, open trailers are great, the thumbs up and toots on the motorway etc...but that all goes out the window when our liquid sunshine appears ! i'll be going back to either an open trailer or small box a the end of the year, won't be racing much next year so doesn't warrant having the bus.
Open trailers Rule! :D
My trailer was built from a widened Mini subframe, angle iron from bedsteads at the tip and ex roof joists. Welding it up in the garden with snow coming down proved to be a slightly shocking experience. :?
As the race cars got bigger and heavier the trailer got stretched and had an extra pair of wheels added. Particularly after coming back from Blackbush the when the mini stub axle bent and the tyre smoked out the M3...... and yes - if the wheelnuts were not Really tight, the the wheel that overtakes you is from Your trailer :shock:
It did serve for twenty years though and then was sold with the Pro Rover BGT.
 #8403  by PhilSweeney

I always planned to do a proper trailer for my last slingshot, single axle, colour co-ordinated trailer and fuel cans, whitewall tyres and bit of signwriting etc, but never got round to it.

Sid, what ahppened to the old "paint your wagon" trailer you used to have, I liked that .
 #8405  by Ian

PhilSweeney wrote: Sid, what happened to the old "paint your wagon" trailer you used to have, I liked that .
I never saw this trailer but Sid and Sheena were telling me about it just the other night. It reminded me of this one that Moon built.
Attachments
Mooneyes.jpg
Mooneyes.jpg (39.38 KiB) Viewed 11674 times
 #8408  by PhilSweeney

now thats cool, most of the trailers you see were little more than a triangle dolly with the axles set right back to get some tongue weight. Get the balance right and you don't even need a jockey or prop. Mooneyes team from the photo's I've seen we're always well turned out, colour co-ordinated pushcars, trailers etc, something missing a bit over here (apart from Sid of course)

Glad you painted the car as well Sid, needs some period decals and maybe some varigated gold leaf sign writing though ! see Keith Crampton ex Gold Digger car, expensive but well worth it I reckon