UKDRN

Do you own or know the whereabouts of a piece of UK Drag Racing History or just want info on a particular machine.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#32058  by NitroWars
 Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:14 pm
shasta wrote:Although the 7 second run attributed to this bike is generally regarded as having been spurious, what times did this bike run? Did it ever get near the magical 7 second barrier?
8.2/8.3s were the best if my memory is serving me correctly...
 #33355  by shasta
 Wed May 15, 2013 11:16 am
I was contacted by Bob Webster regarding this bike and he gave a different view of the seven second run. He is definite that it was a true time, the bike was running 8.0's prior to it, and the nitro load was upped beforehand. He is dismayed that people do not accept it, it could not be backed up due to damage sustained during the run. Does anyone have a record ot the times run that meeting Aug 28/30 1982?
The bike will be on show at the Chichester College Bike Show 2013 held at Chichester on 23rd June.
 #33357  by Kelvin Fagan
 Wed May 15, 2013 1:38 pm
timetravel wrote:here it is at Snetterton 1977...
67.jpg

That's Pat Neal in the far lane, a nice photo of the two bikes/riders

Kelv
 #33862  by muddytalker
 Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:53 pm
shasta wrote:The bike will be on show at the Chichester College Bike Show 2013 held at Chichester on 23rd June more details from bikeshow@chichester.ac.uk .
Would you be prepared to show the restored bike anywhere else this year, like Long Marston for instance?
 #39819  by shasta
 Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:25 pm
Been a while since I put anything on here, although the bike has been mentioned in the feed 'Multi-engined bikes' in General Nostalgia Talk. The major problem of the tyre and missing piston have now been overcome and the build is progressing nicely with the ignition system nearing completion having just been timed up. I can say at last that the bike will be out in 2019 at selected venues and hopefully running satisfactory (of sorts)! I'm guessing demo runs will be the order of the day as it is so unlike anything that I have ridden, it is probably going to take ages to sort out.
Attachments
IMG_4045.JPG
Gearbox/ignition
IMG_4035.JPG
Bit cramped but all fits!
IMG_4038.JPG
Engine coupling
IMG_4039.JPG
New rear tyre
 #39822  by shasta
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:41 pm
Exhausts are now finished and fitted, made from stainless steel down-pipes from various 4 cylinder Jap motorcycles 'cut & shut' to fit and secured to the heads with stainless springs. Two exhaust pipes exit to the right and two to the left on each engine and as the engine is timed to fire every 90 degrees of the crank like a V8, it will be interesting to hear what it sounds like when it runs for the first time!
Attachments
IMG_4048.JPG
Rear engine
IMG_4056.JPG
Front engine
 #39826  by shasta
 Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:03 am
As there seems to be a lot of views on this thread, I thought these photo of the bike when I first went to see it would be of interest. They were taken in Bob Webster's lock-up in Slough sometime in 1988 and show the state of the bike after being laid-up for several years and gradually broken up for spares and sold off piece meal. We were interested in buying just the rolling chassis as we had our own plans for a blown V 8 based Kawasaki engine to go in the bike.
The top picture of the left-hand side show that the front cylinder head, Hilbourn fuel injection system and clutch had already gone. The mass of piping were for the air operated gear-change and the wheelie bars are on the garage wall.
The left-hand view is unfortunately a bit dark but does show the drives on the front engine for the Hilbourn fuel pump at the rear of the block and a 4 cylinder Vertex magneto at the front. The white cover of the drive for the rear engine Vertex can be clearly seen and just behind it is an upright air bottle for the gear-box operation. The air piping is easily seen in this view.
The bottom photo show the two top of the magnetos more clearly and also the fuel pump behind the front engine. The air bottle complete with a pressure gauge is behind the rear engine.
When we realised that our engine plans were going to be outside our budget range, we returned to buy the engine plates and what was left of the set-up. This was about a year later and all that remained were the engine plates, and the two bottom ends with the cylinder studs still fitted to one engine.
I did manage to buy back the two original cylinder heads that had been fitted to the bike from a racer who was changing from Kawasaki power to Suzuki engines.
If anyone has any photos of the bike taken in the pits, especially close-ups, please share them on here or any other info, timing results etc.
Attachments
As found 1.jpg
As found 3.jpg
As found 2.jpg