UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#30904  by crazyhorses

I will be sorting out a new ACAG Update within the next week or so but I thought I should post a pic of Ally with Bunny Girls at the Chelsea AutoLegends weekend. It was Henley Regatta with alloy wheels. Champagne and Pimms.
Chelsea 15 Bunnies.JPG
Chelsea 15 Bunnies.JPG (105.58 KiB) Viewed 11169 times
 #32542  by ukdrn

Some unseen images from my compact at Dragstalgia.
AL-01.jpg
AL-01.jpg (132.03 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
AL-02.jpg
AL-02.jpg (120.86 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
AL-03.jpg
AL-03.jpg (135.41 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
AL-04.jpg
AL-04.jpg (143.19 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
AL-05.jpg
AL-05.jpg (189.3 KiB) Viewed 11215 times
 #32593  by crazyhorses

ALLARD CHRYSLER DRAGSTER OPERATING TEAM TO EXPAND
Now that the restoration of Europe’s first dragster (Sydney Allard’s 1961 Allard Chrysler) is nearing completion, the Allard Chrysler Action Group is looking to extend its pool of people available to operate the car at public appearances and carry our general maintenance procedures. The plan is to have at least three stand-alone National Motor Museum, Beaulieu drag racing support crews available at any given time.

In the short to medium term you would need to be available to work on the final assembly. This would also enable you to familiarise yourself with the rather antique systems and get to know the rest of the team (some of whom are also antique and rather quaint). This work is normally carried out on a Sunday at Andy Robinson Race Cars near Basingstoke. Sound mechanical knowledge is required – preferably in a motor sport environment but not necessarily drag racing.

We plan around five appearances this year but other opportunities may crop up. So the commitment is considerable although nothing like that required to be part of a touring race team – particularly once we establish three teams. And we do have loads of fun. In 2014 we hope to take the dragster to the USA on a cackle tour as part of the 50 years celebrations of the First International Drag Racing Festival held in the UK. This featured a touring American team consisting of some of the greatest names in drag racing. Allard Chrysler team members will have the chance to meet some of them and their families.

Uniform provided for public appearances and food available from our Extreme Chef Syd McDonald. A sense of humour and enthusiasm for the project are clearly pre-requisites. If you would like to join us contact brian@allardchrysler.org and tell him why. You can phone him on 01395 579733 if you prefer.
Attachments
Back shot Tog copy.jpg
Back shot Tog copy.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 11010 times
 #32602  by crazyhorses

Thanks for posting these Jon. Great memories of an important weekend in the car's restoration. As the crew has a uniform the National Motor Museum, Beaulieu felt the car needed its own nightshirt. It even has red pockets to keep the headers warm. Photo was taken without the engine installed but you get the idea.
Attachments
IMGP0495.JPG
IMGP0495.JPG (2.66 MiB) Viewed 11142 times
 #32998  by muddytalker

Shakespeare County Raceway can now confirm that the old girl herself will be making a very special guest appearance at the 20th anniversary NSRA Nostalgia Nationals and will be taking part in the Ring of Fire cackle as well as making a parade pass during the weekend. Its 51 years since Alley was last seen in full anger at an airfield Sprint at Long Marston. I'll get my anorak out shortly and find the programme for the exact date and occasion.
 #32999  by muddytalker

To be exact the Allard driven by Sydney Allard was entered in the 1962 Eighth Annual and First National High Speed Trial held on the airfield on Sunday 24th June 1962. One day away from this years Nostalgia Nationals. How spooky is that. The Speed Trials were organised by the Evesham Automobile Club, and ran in Class & for racing Cars exceeding 1,500cc. The Allard ran against Brian Whitty's Chrysler Dragster, the Marsh Special of Hillclimb champion Tony Marsh, F1 Connaughts, Maseratis, Coppers, Jaguars and a Wuzzi and Pejay Special. Not sure what they were so don't ask. So it will be 51 years ago since the Allard Dragster first appeared at Long Marston Airfield unless someone knows better!

What times were achieved is clearly unknown and at what distance as the programme at the back lists average times as a comparison for 440 and 880 yards to those set on the day. I just wish whoever this programme belonged to all the times were filled in for both runs except for a few penciled in ones. I guess a trip to the Stratford Herald archive is now on the cards.
 #33002  by muddytalker

Alan Smith, owner of the sole remaining Allard Dragon Dragster now Avanti will be at the Nostalgia Nationals so it will be a good opportunity to get this two icons of British Drag Racing side-by-side in a start line photo shoot.
Nostalgia drags Octane 116.jpg
Nostalgia drags Octane 116.jpg (591.51 KiB) Viewed 11820 times