UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#27486  by dragracerdave

muddytalker wrote:Has anyone got one of these. A friction driven Funny Car made by Marx Toys. This is one; the American Express Mustang ran along the floor if you pulled the rip cord from the drag chute. I believe there where of two of these in the set. The other being the Hustler; a Chevy Vega based on the real Hustler driven by Peter Crane. In fact I wonder who came up with the paint design first. Marx or Peter? Would be fun to find out.
SUC30899.JPG
I have all the other cars you've shown Jerry, But I don't have that! & I WANT IT!!!!!!!
 #27504  by stormbringer

muddytalker wrote:Has anyone got one of these. A friction driven Funny Car made by Marx Toys. This is one; the American Express Mustang ran along the floor if you pulled the rip cord from the drag chute. I believe there where of two of these in the set. The other being the Hustler; a Chevy Vega based on the real Hustler driven by Peter Crane. In fact I wonder who came up with the paint design first. Marx or Peter? Would be fun to find out.
SUC30899.JPG
Roy Phelps decided on both the Hustlers paint job and name. I understood it was because of that toy. So it would definitely be Marx first!
 #27507  by ukdrn

Milligan's Mill I have with a boxed and Gus's Gulper I have with no box but with a AMX Javelin towcar and trailer 8)
corgi.jpg
corgi.jpg (153.67 KiB) Viewed 8562 times
 #27508  by ukdrn

Just noticed I've already posted the Gulper before but here's another Speed Kings.
The pink "Bender" Dodge.
Attachments
corgi2.jpg
corgi2.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 8777 times
 #27514  by muddytalker

I went to a Toy Fair at the NEC today and got talking to one of the vendors about his mint Gloworm Funny Car. Although it was unboxed he still wanted £50 for it. I told him about mine and with the box (which I have) I'm looking at £50 to £60. And with Roy's autograph on the rear it might fetch £75 or more. The same guy also had a 208 Radio Luxemburg dragster boxed but it didn't have the radio station markings on it even though the dragster's colour scheme was the same. He told me that its rare example because it has a while on red 'Quick Start '77' paper sticker running down the middle. Does anyone else have one of these or even seen this model?
 #27517  by muddytalker

Corgi also released in there Corgi Junior range in 1971 a smaller version of the Ford Capri Funny Car with a yellow finish but no with no stickers. It was shortly withdrawn in 1973. I don't remember this but it was released at the same time as the two Formula One Stock Cars and the Spedeworth Jaguar Pace car.
cj67gt.jpg
cj67gt.jpg (7.71 KiB) Viewed 8728 times
 #27523  by ukdrn

I've seen that yellow version before but never knew what it was.

I've never seen the Luxembourg dragster with that sticker on it, how much was it Jerry?

Maybe I can ask Mr Phelps to kindly sign mine and add £20 to the value :)
 #27527  by Badger

The yellow corgi junior capri funny was called 'hot pants' ..
I'll try and post a couple of pics tomorro, I have 2 of the Marx funny's a mustang and monza, i used to have three but that one is long gone. It was a black monza named 'Warlord' and had a very similar blue graphic scheme to Dave Prior's 'Warlock'. Fastest toy in the playground, it was absolutely trashed and I lost that a long time ago.
I've seen the Mustang in green too.
John Price is a keen model collector, speaking to him once he told me he has Hustler and Warlord in his collection ..
 #27535  by jaytee

Attachments
!0aagh3 027.jpg
!0aagh3 027.jpg (632.78 KiB) Viewed 8485 times