UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#38023  by bob hawkins

Hi guys, our chassis is indeed US built by Dave Tuttle in 2002. Ex Ed and Tammy Fargo and ex Vic Hammond/ Sam freeman's speed Demon. We built a new 434 SBC over the winter which has helped us to run that number. I did wonder if we may be the fastest Alky slingshot to date in the UK as I think most of the others ( apart from Norm) were running fuel?
 #38046  by bill426

Jon never ran the slingshot over a quarter ,when i built the car for him he wanted 125wb slingshot but the engine was a 3000bredan Murray spec 90per cent fuel engine,so without telling him i lenghthened the car to what it is now ,he tried one pas ,direct drive,3stabs 3 wheelstands ,it didn't work so we went home and put it in a fuel altered who's first full pas was a 6;71@208ish,this was at the time the second fastest pass any where in world for a fuel burnig iron Chevy altered,mind you only because the yanks gave up using them back in 1960s
 #38047  by jai_ford

Hi BIll
thanks for that just building a car myself at the moment and think all these facts and that is cool , heard a few stories along the way about aswell of course,do you still use the iron block motor now?
 #38048  by bill426

Yes i use it as a line up block when i build cars ,but seriously if you used about 60perc then yes ,Jon best used 90perc and on one run at pod the entire left hand side of block fell off,this was a big m and i think that the car was turned off by the mag instead of the fuel ,same thing happened when we put hemi in it 6;91 boom hydraulicked,,Jon best was an absolute rookie who quickly showed under the guidance of john mental hall that he had what it takes,and of course Jonny mental had a 6,8with a sbc on fuel,,so yes a bbc on fuel would work but ,,,,they are a birch to service and of coarse if your on fuel and its your engine and money you have to look at bearings and rings after every run ,one run a day would be a good achievment
 #38054  by jai_ford

Cheers for that bill keeping engine etc under wraps at the moment also a willing to learn rookie I met you a while back when Johnny sorted a new cage on my dads old slingshot and you said to bin the predator carb? That's if your the same bill? Maybe in the future another car to these lists I think they are a little short :D
 #38055  by bill426

Yes that's me cant remember the predetor advice but there not very good ,was your dads car the light blue flathead ex cooper car and you changed cage without telling him if so hi !!! Ikno jons still building stuff hes just done a vw rear engine car that's old stylie ,really nice
 #38074  by jai_ford

Hi Bill yea that was me my dads car looks totally different now will be out out dragstalgia, i ve been down to johnnys that rear engine car is nice wasn't much bigger than a jnr. Back to the slingshot post there is a lot of nice cars I've heard of in garages and in construction i think these two posts will grow of next couple of years. :D