UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#36014  by ukdrn

I hope they plan to run it but he will be a busy boy I guess.
 #36022  by Millevanille

When I heard the news the hairs on the back of my neck went up! Wow! What an amazing weekend planned, cant wait, see if I can get Keith Potter to come back from Spain with me just for the weekend.
 #36030  by Stu Bradbury

JamesF wrote:If anyone comes across it please do let me know!
I do believe Fred Whittle has Shutdown. The last time I spoke to Fred he was planning to rebuild the car. That was some few years ago. I will make some enquires at the PDRC/York dinner held 22nd February this month.
 #36033  by Rob

We'll certainly run it Jon, we have a crew, it's more of a timing thing. All the 'big' classes run together so, assuming the schedule allows a suitable amount of time, we'll 'scooter' Nick back down the 'Fire Up' road.

One way or another we'll deal with it.

See you at Easter
 #36034  by jaytee

Stu Bradbury wrote:
JamesF wrote:If anyone comes across it please do let me know!
I do believe Fred Whittle has Shutdown. The last time I spoke to Fred he was planning to rebuild the car. That was some few years ago. I will make some enquires at the PDRC/York dinner held 22nd February this month.
good luck with that, it'll be nice to see Shutdown again even if it's a work in process display, I think Fred based the car on Pure Hell so there's a connection there, also great to hear Havoc will be there and add this to the mix and it'll be nirvana for altered fans like me
Attachments
gba=CALIF KID DGM-46.jpg
gba=CALIF KID DGM-46.jpg (81.23 KiB) Viewed 10802 times
 #36077  by Millevanille

pure hell.jpg
pure hell.jpg (96.45 KiB) Viewed 10662 times
What is the connection between these two and Santa Pod?
 #36086  by ukdrn

Sally B B17 comes to Santa Pod!
This year on Sunday July 13th, 70 years after the B17’s were being flown out of Podington, Bedfordshire on a regular basis, the “Sally B” B17 will be performing a flypast as a part of the Santa Pod Raceway’s Nostalgia Drag Racing event “Dragstalgia”; a fitting tribute to all those that fought and lost their lives during the wartime years.
Based at Duxford airfield and operated by the B17 Preservation, Sally B is the last remaining flying fortress in Europe. This is set to be a real historic, once in a lifetime moment – do not miss it!
Podington Airfield was built in 1940 and soon after became a base for the RAF. In April 1942 the USAAF took over and after a number of units came and left the base, the 92nd (Heavy) Bombardment group, also known as “Fames Favoured Few”, took residence and seemingly settled down in September 1943. The primary plane of choice was the B17. The 92nd is the oldest serving group in the American Air Force, and during World War Two flew 308 missions over enemy territory, sadly with the loss of many young lives and a total of 154 aircraft missing in action. At its peak, the base flew out a staggering 800 aircraft in a single month flying 25 missions. There were a number of noteworthy events and incidents including the dispatch of the first Disney rocket, an appearance and performance from the legendary Glenn Miller, the first flight across the Atlantic, which was in completed in a B17, and even the first trial flight of a YB40 B17.
Unfortunately, as always with war, there were some unpleasant incidents too; one of note was on the foggy May 20th, 1944…
On a mission destined for the South of Paris, one of the B17’s crashed at the end of the runway during take-off. A pile of stones had been caught by the prop blade; the pilot lost control and subsequently crashed in the woods killing all crewmembers. A halt was called on all take-offs, one B17 part way along the runway turned around and began his retreat. Unfortunately, it seems like the next pilot due to take-off didn’t hear the cancellation and proceeded to take off colliding with the retreating plane. Everyone in the front of each plane was killed, only 5 survived in each plane.
After the 92nd Bombardment group left in June 1945, the base was returned to the air ministry and was operated under loose military control throughout the 50’s alongside a Polish resettlement camp. The group left Podington in 1945, a few came back at different times, but on 18 May 1985 many returned for the dedication of a Memorial to them, one that can still be seen to this very day on the approach to Santa Pod. The group paid for the restoration of the Church organ, the cost being in excess of £7,000. An inscription is on the side of the organ, above the propeller blade from one the B17s from the base.
The group came back again when the American flag was dedicated in the Church, and which is sited next to the organ. The village has made many friends among the 92nd veterans, they consider Podington a place where they can visit and always be welcomed, and hold the village and villagers very dear to their hearts.
The airfield was still used into the early 60’s from which light aircraft and gliders were flown. This was before a group of Drag Racing enthusiasts got hold of the land and turned it into the “Home of European Drag Racing” as it’s affectionately known today; Santa Pod Raceway, which held its first race meeting in 1966. The control tower for the runway still stands today and a number of memorials can be seen in the local area and at the track itself.
Photo Steehouwer
Photo Steehouwer
1.02 MB-17 Flying Fortress Sally B. Credit steehouwer 2007.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 10334 times