UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#32236  by muddytalker

CRR wrote:
herb andrews wrote: Pulling the thread back in line to my original question, what I'm interested in Jerry are the best ET's and MPH for Top fuel, and Pro Comp at the 1984 Blackbushe races, May 20, Aug 12 and Sept 30.
I'm afraid that there are no written race reports for any of the 3 Blackbushe meetings in 1984. NDRC News in 1984 was usually just 4 pages. There were race reports for the Long Marston meetings written by Jerry, but nothing for Blackbushe presumably because nobody could be bothered to write them. There's not even any mention of the Blackbushe meetings in Drag Racing News. Your only hope Herb would be to get hold of the official results for the 3 meetings in question.
Funnily enough I did write a few reports from Blackbushe for Motoring News and I have found 2 of them (August and September). I may have written a few lines for UK Drag Racer as well. I'll have a read and post up any times. I'll even scan the reports for you Herb as well.
 #32323  by muddytalker

At the August 12th NDRC race at Blackbushe - the Street Machine Summernationals - there was a 4 car Funny Car show featuring Page Brothers Panic Monza, Ronnie Picardo's Supercat XJS, Tony Boden's ATR Hitman Dodge Omni and John Spuffard's Competition Products Chevy Vega. Here are the times as written from the reports below:

Panic; 7.79/173; 190 mph
Hitman; 7.53/164; 9.10s/145 mph

Three cars entered Pro Comp; Doug Bond, Dave Wilson and Martin Maxwell but no times were reported.
004.jpg
004.jpg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 8136 times
At the last drag race - 20th anniversary Dragfest - featured Funny Cars and Pro Comp cars. Here are the times as written from the reports below:

Page Bros; 7.32/182 mph, 7.38s
Stuart Prior;
John Spuffard; 8.17/180 mph, 7.65/190 mph
Ronnie Picardo;

In Pro Comp:
Steve Read; 7.14/195 mph, 7.67/155 mph
Doug Bond; 737/160 mph
Dave Wilson; 7.16/ 193 mph, 7.30/180 mph
Vic Hammond; 10.85/83 mph
005.jpg
005.jpg (747.22 KiB) Viewed 8136 times
Interestingly enough the quickest machine of the day was Henk Vink's Rocket Bike; 4.6s1 at the eighth and 6.83s at the quarter.

Hope this answer's some of your questions Herb. Sorry that I can't be more specific.
 #32562  by herb andrews

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Jerry but I've have been working out of the country. Thanks for all the information ...much appreciated

From what is available can we now say that Norm Wheeldon & Steve Rose's 'Plan X' slingshot ran the first and only? 6 second run at Blackbushe, at the NDRC finals in october 83? I want to get the facts correct as I'm working on some hero cards...

With the 50th dragfests anniversary coming up next year it would be nice to have all the class records available to chart the progress that was made from the 64 dragfests to the final meeting in 84.

Herb
 #32566  by muddytalker

Thanks. If I say yes Herb you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will throw another name in the hat in that 20 year time frame. :lol:
 #32568  by herb andrews

muddytalker wrote:Thanks. If I say yes Herb you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will throw another name in the hat in that 20 year time frame. :lol:
No problem Jerry, I understand.

So, is there any forum member, or 'lurker' that has a racers name in mind, and anything to back it up, that ran a six at Blackbushe?
 #32581  by timetravel

herb andrews wrote:
muddytalker wrote:Thanks. If I say yes Herb you can bet your bottom dollar that someone will throw another name in the hat in that 20 year time frame. :lol:
No problem Jerry, I understand.

So, is there any forum member, or lerker that has a racers name in mind, and anything to back it up, that ran a six at Blackbushe?
...ahem, Andy Craddock ran a 6.77 at Blackbushe and Dennis Priddle ran a 6.95... This was at the May 15th 1983 meeting... I'm pretty sure the 6.77 stands as the quickest at Blackbushe and Priddle's 225mph he ran in '75 stands as the fastest... but I could be wrong...
 #32587  by muddytalker

See Herb. :lol:
 #32588  by kal

Good try Herb! :D
I certainly remember the first 6 by Dennis, in traditional Blackbushe style.