UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#2416  by miss scatterbrains

I remember Sammy I may only be 26 but I remember him, he was the sort of person that once you meet him you'll never forget him!! He was a friend of my dad (who worked on the liquidator, stripteaser, sweet sixteen, and red arrow) I used to call him uncle Sammy, and he alwys used to talk to me donld duck voice and always had sweet's in his pockets even if he had just done a run! Always came and spoke to me to let me know he was alright aftre a run, I must have been 2 when i first saw him go.
Sammy Miller will always be my hero!!!!
 #4076  by jaytee

muddytalker wrote:That’s an excellent find JayTee. Although I can’t read the small print, Sammy ran a ‘72 Ford Mustang Funny car built by John Buttera before that, but the Miller Duster you have uncovered gave Sammy his first and only NHRA Wally at the inaugural NHRA ‘71 Grandnationals in Canada.

Apparently, the car ran again in season ‘72 but it caught fire at the NHRA Nationals burning Sammy quite badly. Two years later, Sammy returned again with another Mustang but later sold it a few months in to finance his rocket car project after a chance drive with the ‘Pollution Packer’ rocker dragster.
Attachments
72 Sam Miller Mach IA.jpg
72 Sam Miller Mach IA.jpg (99.56 KiB) Viewed 11190 times
 #4170  by jaytee

This great shot is from Steve Reyes excellent new book FUNNY CAR FEVER which also features photos of Dennis Priddle racing Blue Max and Lee Anders Hasslestrom
Attachments
SAMMY 1A.jpg
SAMMY 1A.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 11456 times
SAMMY 2 A.jpg
SAMMY 2 A.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 11456 times
 #4214  by timetravel

tog wrote:"That weekend he ran in the fours at 300 mph"

-- No he didn't. Fours, yes. 300 mph, no.
Best run that weekend was a 4.41/290.6m.p.h.
 #4567  by jaytee

A few shots of the 72 Mustang from Rodder and Superstock magazine
Attachments
1AASAM3A.jpg
1AASAM3A.jpg (171.75 KiB) Viewed 11299 times
1AASAM2A.jpg
1AASAM2A.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 11298 times
1AASAM1A.jpg
1AASAM1A.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 11292 times
 #4588  by spencer tidswell

miss scatterbrains wrote:I remember Sammy I may only be 26 but I remember him, he was the sort of person that once you meet him you'll never forget him!! He was a friend of my dad (who worked on the liquidator, stripteaser, sweet sixteen, and red arrow) I used to call him uncle Sammy, and he alwys used to talk to me donld duck voice and always had sweet's in his pockets even if he had just done a run! Always came and spoke to me to let me know he was alright aftre a run, I must have been 2 when i first saw him go.
Sammy Miller will always be my hero!!!!
On reading this i must totaly agree he was one of the nicest people id ever met also!!! with my mum racing gean,s t (jean tidswell) she was always talking to people and i remember sammy miller being one of them and he came to the pub one night in bedford i think?? there was a dragster arcade game there and the best chicken and chips you could imagine.
sammy was talking in donald duck and singin don mclean - amarican pie he was rally happy and i dont think he ever sore himself as any differant to any body else there..... he will be missed by every body and he is the focus on many topics still to this day..... (r.i.p)sammy ...... spencer
 #4828  by Badger

Don't know if anybody picked up a copy of Hot Rod last month. There was the first part of a 'barn finds' feature, one of the cars shown in as found condition was the Mustang 2 JFC of Sammy Miller. Roller only if I remember .. I should of bought a copy.
 #4829  by dragnut

I picked up a copy of it in newark airport. If i ever work out how to use the scanner, ill post it on here!
 #6056  by laurieshaw

I just found this pic of the interior of Vanishing Point from around 1980 of there abouts. Not much to see really, but then again you didn't go to see the 'engine' I suppose.
Attachments
Vanishing Point 1.jpg
Vanishing Point 1.jpg (239.09 KiB) Viewed 10285 times