UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1829  by CRR

Does anybody know when the last issue of British Drag Racing mag was? I have the November 1965 issue, how many were there after that?

#1831  by timetravel

I've got May '65 to Nov. '65 and I'm pretty sure that was the last issue unless anyone on here knows different......

#1834  by CRR

That's exactly what I have, May to November 1965. Bearing in mind the mag was the journal of the BDRA who organised both the 1964 & 1965 Dragfests, and the latter event was a financial disaster due to the weather, I'm not too surprised that there weren't anymore issues.

#1870  by jaytee

When were the first and last issues of NDRC news printed and was issue 24 the last UK Drag Racing Magazine printed

#1873  by muddytalker

I have to agree with TimeTravel, the last issue I have of 'British Drag Racing' magazine is November 1965.

The first real quality magazine feel for 'NDRC News' was July 1978, although there were some issues prior to that although these were the usual newsletter type editions run off on and early photocopier or gestetner machine. The last issue was October 1981.

In fact I took over the editorship in the same year from the July issue. At the time, the NDRC was on shakey(!) ground and the mag only lasted for four issues which was a shame really because working at a Birmingham based printers I got to write the copy, typeset the edition, make the plates to print from, print a 1000 copies, collate all the pages and staple it all together and hey presto, another 'NDRC News' rolled of the press.

A couple of years later the NDRC produced its own newspaper titled ‘Pro Drag’ edited by Keith Pilling. Sadly, due to differences with the editor and the club ‘Pro Drag’ again only lasted for several issues before falling into the trap of expense the club didn’t have.

#1874  by muddytalker

Yes jaytee, issue 24 was the last issue of ‘Drag Racing Magazine’. But like all projects like this, and believe me I have been involved in quite a few over the years, print costs and the lack of sales has forced all these great titles to fold and disappear for good; the latest being Mark Newby’s ‘440 Magazine’ lasting in the qualifying stages for one issue.

#1900  by TimeMachine

muddytalker wrote:the latest being Mark Newby’s ‘440 Magazine’ lasting in the qualifying stages for one issue.
I can't help but think that this wasn't helped by Richard Hammond's accident. Shame really as it looked like being a good magazine. Still, at least Custom Car appears to be doing a good job in covering the sport.

#1932  by TimeMachine

tog wrote:440 magazine folded before Richard Hammond's accident.
I stand corrected. It is a shame it didn't work out for them but I can't say I was completely surprised. Top marks for trying though.
tog wrote:I'm glad that CC have picked up their drag racing coverage again although I'm still a bit pissed at a member of their management for trying to get the Eurodragster.com staff to provide their drag racing pages for no fee save "You'll get your web site mentioned in the magazine". Hopefully they are paying Messrs Gredzo and Willsheer a bit more than they were offering us.
That does seem a bit cheap, especially given (AFAIK) ED is run for love not money whereas CC is a commercial enterprise, albeit one that supports the sport (mind you, if they didn't their circulation would be lower).