UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#1629  by sjb

heres "Als Hauler" i took this pic not that many years ago, at a Cannonball Meet i think.Anybody no how long his had this.Other than "Als gasser" there was another "Als "something or other but i cant remember what it was.

What about that NSU extended 6 wheel pick up salloon that carried a drag Bike on the back.Wonder what happened to that.

#1630  by Badger

He's had that a long long time. I think he used that tow car on a trip over to Sweden in the mid seventies.

Was the NSU Eamonn Hurley's transporter?

#1633  by muddytalker

And here is the famous 6 wheel NSU RO-80 nicknamed ‘The Hurley Carry Car.’

#1663  by muddytalker

Going back to ‘Al’s Hauler‘, according to an article in the November 1974 edition of ‘National Drag Racer‘, the Ford V8 Pilot originally cost Al £220 and was powered by a 24 stud 238ci Mercury Flathead. The Pilot was laid up for a time when Al blew second gear but he eventually solved that problem by buying a complete car for £25. Besides the Gasser, Al’s Hauler was also sponsored by the local Insurance Brokers Headlands in Rushden, Wellingborough.

#1671  by Glenn R

Been a few great tow/push vehicles in the past. Remember the 'Panic' fire engine, Houndog Vauxhall whatever it was and then their pick up truck, Ronie Picardo's Zodiac that ended up as a Santa Pod Fire truck after it's rearward journey into the barriers. Back to the Pages, do you remember them using the 6 wheeled Range Rover?

#1673  by muddytalker

Glenn, you mean this 'Panic' tow truck!
Photo by Bob Massey

#1699  by sjb

that trick custom NSU was like a full size Hot Wheels car or something.

#1705  by Stormin Norm

I think we were the only pro-comp team to have aconverted Transit
parcel van as a tow car-push car!! After fitting a capri 3.1 V6 it towed
great. Does anyone have any pics of the Superbus at the world finals
79 especially with a young crew member waving a union jack out of
the back door after the final. It would be great to put a pic on the
workshop wall!!

Thanks
Norm.
 #14944  by ukdrn

What is this? Is this just a converted hearse?

Vauxhall Victor medical.
Pictures:John Kent
 #14946  by CRR

[quote="ukdrn"]
What is this? Is this just a converted hearse?

I drove that a few times whilst on the firecrew. We got our hands on that midway through the 1972 season. Prior to that, we had to use our own cars.

Must admit it never crossed my mind it might be a converted hearse, always thought it was a genuine ambulance although, if memory serves me correct, it only had a stretcher inside. There was so much room in the back, we often used to stretch out and you could easily fall asleep.

Off topic, in that photo, look at the "crash barrier" on the left of the strip. I believe those wooden, stone filled boxes were removed straight after the Hillbillies funny car turned hard left and went through them like a hot knife through butter. It left a hell of a mess of stones and earth for us to clear up.