UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#29955  by MikeH
 Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:18 am
'morning JT, Donington sent me an answer regarding the Blue Star mock-up. I received an answer from Kevin Wheatcroft; he remembers as a child travelling South to pick up the mock-up, also seeing a chassis and rocket motor he thought was for the Blue Star project. The chassis I can't pass a coment on, there seems to be some confusion over what that was, from earlier posts. The motor was probably the Stentor RZ1 Barry got when he bought the business end of the Black Knight missile, we used the engine(s) from this later missile. The Stentor was planned to be used in a true LSR car that never came to fruition and was much more powerfull than out little motor, but the BB cars were only ever meant to be National record breakers and not full blown LSR cars. Alas Kevin has no further info regarding the sale of the mock-up, he wrote that they (Donington) were offered the mock-up at short notice for a sum of money, beyond that the rest is lost in time now. I wonder if the administrator of Barry's company could further the investigations, trouble is for me, it would have to be done at a long distance as I live in Italy. I'll see if I can find out who acted as the receiver/administrator, it might give some more info to the old BB bits and pieces.
 #29957  by NitroWars
 Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 am
MikeH wrote:. I wonder if the administrator of Barry's company could further the investigations...
Not unless there is anything in it for them... :shock:

All they are interested in is £££/$$$.
 #29964  by Old Boy Racer
 Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:04 pm
I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Where shall I post them Mr Moderators - here or on a new thread? :)

Robin
 #29965  by timetravel
 Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:59 pm
Old Boy Racer wrote:I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Robin
..post them on here Robin.. :D
 #29966  by ukdrn
 Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 pm
timetravel wrote:
Old Boy Racer wrote:I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Robin
..post them on here Robin.. :D
As Nick says, here will be fine.

Very interesting thread guys :)
 #30005  by ukdrn
 Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:05 pm
Just one picture tonight but a really good one of the whole team and with yourself standing next to Brian Sparrow Mike.
BB2-23.jpg
 #30022  by ukdrn
 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Some more from Brian's collection
BB2-22.jpg
BB2-21.jpg
BB2-20.jpg
BB2-19.jpg
BB2-18.jpg
 #30040  by Old Boy Racer
 Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm
As mentioned by Mike H here's the first article about Blue Star which Tony Densham (and later David Purley) was slated to drive.

Robin
BlueStar01.jpg
BlueStar01.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
BlueStar02.jpg
BlueStar02.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
BlueStar03.jpg
BlueStar03.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
BlueStar04.jpg
 #30042  by shabby1
 Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:21 pm
This photo must have been when Dave Purley was involved with the Lec decal on the fin.
Lec Refridgation was the Purley's family business at Bognor Regis.Dave Purley was an amazing bloke
managed to walk again after one of the worst crashes in F1 only to be killed crashing his Pitts Special- G-POKE
into the sea in the early '80's.