UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#29964  by Old Boy Racer

I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Where shall I post them Mr Moderators - here or on a new thread? :)

Robin
 #29965  by timetravel

Old Boy Racer wrote:I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Robin
..post them on here Robin.. :D
 #29966  by ukdrn

timetravel wrote:
Old Boy Racer wrote:I have some articles about Blue Star. Not ony does that project have a connection with BB but also to Commuter since Tony Densham (among others) was proposed as the driver at one time.

Robin
..post them on here Robin.. :D
As Nick says, here will be fine.

Very interesting thread guys :)
 #30005  by ukdrn

Just one picture tonight but a really good one of the whole team and with yourself standing next to Brian Sparrow Mike.
BB2-23.jpg
BB2-23.jpg (308.65 KiB) Viewed 16240 times
 #30022  by ukdrn

Some more from Brian's collection
BB2-22.jpg
BB2-22.jpg (90.4 KiB) Viewed 16053 times
BB2-21.jpg
BB2-21.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 16053 times
BB2-20.jpg
BB2-20.jpg (97.34 KiB) Viewed 16053 times
BB2-19.jpg
BB2-19.jpg (114.06 KiB) Viewed 16053 times
BB2-18.jpg
BB2-18.jpg (112.44 KiB) Viewed 16053 times
 #30040  by Old Boy Racer

As mentioned by Mike H here's the first article about Blue Star which Tony Densham (and later David Purley) was slated to drive.

Robin
BlueStar01.jpg
BlueStar01.jpg (94.39 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
BlueStar02.jpg
BlueStar02.jpg (86.67 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
BlueStar03.jpg
BlueStar03.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
BlueStar04.jpg
BlueStar04.jpg (201.37 KiB) Viewed 16014 times
 #30042  by shabby1

This photo must have been when Dave Purley was involved with the Lec decal on the fin.
Lec Refridgation was the Purley's family business at Bognor Regis.Dave Purley was an amazing bloke
managed to walk again after one of the worst crashes in F1 only to be killed crashing his Pitts Special- G-POKE
into the sea in the early '80's.
 #30052  by Old Boy Racer

My one remaining brain cell seems to think that the BS mockup with LEC decals was taken at an Earls Court car show. Could be wrong there but yes it would be when David Purley was the nominated driver . Here's another BB news article where Barry predicts any number of deaf and dumb breakfasts with senior mgt. Sorry about the quality.

Robin
BB-Daily Mail.jpg
BB-Daily Mail.jpg (83.52 KiB) Viewed 14983 times
 #30055  by MikeH

Good day All, Ok, time for some notes to go with the new pictures. The first as Jon states is the team, circa early 80's I would say maybe a year earlier. Barry at the front of the car, then from left to right; Peter Gazey, ex Blue Star project incidentally, Brian Sparrow, Mike Huggins, Mel Bettison, John Witney, Steve..erm can't recall the surname sorry; Steve was a very late addition to the team, and finally Denis Atken the "rocket man" himself. The next pic shows a better view of the rear face of the firewall and the pressure control for the propellant system, including the turbo pump. The pump, or part of it, can be seen in the bottom right of the picture; this is the turbine volute, the device just above the pump, tall and thin, is part of the steam generator that drove the turbine once the system was started. The spherical vessel was the used to start the turbo pump itself. I think these pictures will mean a little more when I get the history article finished. It covers in a little more depth the system as a whole. The next picture, looking into the tubo pump area gives a better view of the steam generator and it's controls. I now guess that the right hand pedal, in the cockpit, opened the flow valve to the starter, right centre of the pic, judging the route of the cable operating it. Just behind the control valve, the right suspension unit can just be seen, the vertically mounted screw thread etc.. Next pic is simalr to an earlier one, so I wont give any duplication on the control panel; what is interesting in this shot is the level of detail you can see of the rocket motor itself, middle right of the image, the rigid tube running around the back of the motor would have been used for the Kerosene injection in the missile, when the motor was run in the "hot" configuration. You can just about pick out the suspension units on both sides also. Next pic's of the control panel, showing the manifold to split the main pressure line from the Nitrogen tank. The following pics gives better detail of the turbo pump starter. The connection pointing outwards was where the HTP was filled from but only for the starter, a few ccm's; the other hemi-part of the vessel facing the firewall had Nitrogen gas to pressurise a diaphragm clamped around the bolt circle, the other bits hanging off of the vessel were pressure relief and other connections; all of this by the way from the origianl Black Knight missile. The pressure relief valve was used to regulate the rotational speed of the turbine.