UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#10235  by fester

The brucie brown car was broken up.4 years ago jon hall had what was left,,,,,,,the front wheels and axle assembly and the steering wheel and support weresearched it by looking at cockpit pics in a period custom car and lots of pics of the whole car.The front rims were ali borrani wires.Any way jon took them home and left them in his front garden and those people,,,what are they called ,,,,oh yes got it,,,,,,,thieving stinking gypos,,,stole them ,,,,,,,,,the end :(
 #10246  by TimeMachine

cunningplan wrote: I agree it could be the old Vintage Tin car. Well the bodywork anyway, but still confused about the steering.
Regarding Vintage Tin;

"The car started it's life in 1966 as 'Weekend Warrior', and then in the hands of Roy Green became 'Resurrection'. It was fitted with a Flathead V8 and known as Vintage Tin. This provided many good times and much fun, but eventually it became time for a new engine, and a Rover V8 was chosen. This also saw the arrival of a sponsor, H.T.Wells (a paint company). Indeed, it is to this sponsorship the very name Time Machine can be traced, given the similarity to H.G.Wells, author of a book by the same name. The sponsor may have been bought several times over by other companies and moved on, but the name stuck. Eventually, the chassis was sold on, and now races in Wild Bunch, campaigned by Mark Coulsell as 'Limited Funz'."

http://www.timemachine.co.uk/?page=history

The last sentence needs updating, I believe Mark retired the car a few years ago. It was sitting in his car that made me realise I wanted a slingshot, only then did my Dad work out it was his old car :-)

I can also tell you where the Vintage Tin cowl panel is - hanging up in my garage!
 #10250  by jonmental

As Bill says, we had the remains of the Brucie Brown car and from what we had were going to build a replica of this fantastic car.
We had loads of different slingshot bits stored at the B+J Workshops and decided to relocate some of the stuff to make more room.
I took a pile of it home and because I was in a hurry, left the front axle with borani rims and steering bits in my front garden to be sorted out later that evening. When I got back that night , some diddycoys had nicked it to be weighed in for scrap. ( we had a spate of them in our area). Bill and myself couldnt speak for days.....to these scumbags it was junk....to us it was a huge lump of British Drag Nostalgia....of which there is hardly anything left.
 #10252  by timetravel

TimeMachine wrote:
cunningplan wrote: I agree it could be the old Vintage Tin car. Well the bodywork anyway, but still confused about the steering.
Regarding Vintage Tin;

"The car started it's life in 1966 as 'Weekend Warrior', and then in the hands of Roy Green became 'Resurrection'. It was fitted with a Flathead V8 and known as Vintage Tin. This provided many good times and much fun, but eventually it became time for a new engine, and a Rover V8 was chosen. This also saw the arrival of a sponsor, H.T.Wells (a paint company). Indeed, it is to this sponsorship the very name Time Machine can be traced, given the similarity to H.G.Wells, author of a book by the same name. The sponsor may have been bought several times over by other companies and moved on, but the name stuck. Eventually, the chassis was sold on, and now races in Wild Bunch, campaigned by Mark Coulsell as 'Limited Funz'."

http://www.timemachine.co.uk/?page=history

The last sentence needs updating, I believe Mark retired the car a few years ago. It was sitting in his car that made me realise I wanted a slingshot, only then did my Dad work out it was his old car :-)

I can also tell you where the Vintage Tin cowl panel is - hanging up in my garage!
Here's some more history on the Vintage Tin slingshot. Tony Whitehouse has been sending me some pics of his cars and I've just spent an hour or so reading through British Flathead Racers Association newsletters, (what else is there to do on a cold damp Sat afternoon?) As we know the car started life as Weekend Warrior but not the 1966 car as this became Jim Read's Autofrog and then Dave Burdett's Jag slingshot Boston Straggler, it was Weekend Warrior 3 and here's the cowl panel which is I guess the same one that's hanging up in your garage.
Our_Dragster0001.jpg
Our_Dragster0001.jpg (190.02 KiB) Viewed 11369 times
In 1972 the Weekend Warrior 3 chassis was up for sale as the team wanted to build their twin engined car but they couldn't sell it so cut it in half using the front half for their twin and Tony Whitehouse ended up with the rear half to which a new front section was made up and fitted
Our_Dragster0002.jpg
Our_Dragster0002.jpg (232.25 KiB) Viewed 11371 times
Tony got it as far as a rolling chassis set up for flathead power and fitted with a Benbow/Fullerton front axle and Westminster rear and this pic was taken just before it was sold to Brian Gleadow in Aug 1974
Our_Dragster0004.jpg
Our_Dragster0004.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 11373 times
Brian never finished the car and ended up selling it to Roy Green at the end of 1975 who debuted it as Resurection at Santa Pod in Sept '76.
Our_Dragster0005.jpg
Our_Dragster0005.jpg (96.56 KiB) Viewed 11368 times
Roy ran it during 1977 and then in 1978 bought Tony Beadle's Gravedigger chassis and sold Resurection back to Brian Gleadow who had it back out in '79 as Vintage Tin and then Time Machine with Rover V8 power (All pics from Tony Whitehouse)
Our_Dragster0006.jpg
Our_Dragster0006.jpg (247.2 KiB) Viewed 11370 times
 #10273  by TimeMachine

Thanks for that extra info, I shall have to update the website. That is indeed the same cowl panel i have, I'll make a picture at some point.
 #10328  by timetravel

Here's an ad from the Sept '79 BFRA mag which further confirms that the barn find car is the Herridge built Pete Bennett Red Baron, Bruce Brown Age Machine, Ros Prior Age Machine, Liz Burn Lizzard, John Wright Rainmaker car..........
98 009.jpg
98 009.jpg (67.54 KiB) Viewed 11376 times
98 010.jpg
98 010.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 11375 times
 #10490  by herb andrews

Bill

Perhaps Bruce Brown made more than one rail. Was it broken up by you and/or Johnnie or were the front wheels, axle assembly and the steering wheel and support bought from somebody else?

Nice price, but then that was in 79...

Herb
 #10493  by timetravel

As far as I know Bruce Brown didn't build any slingshots but he ran two, the first was Prospector II which was the old Allan Herridge Pulsation and went on to be Dave Gibbon's Wild Angel and is still around and the other is Age Machine which appears to be the barn find flathead rail.........