UKDRN

Anything Nostalgia Related.

Moderators: timetravel, ukdrn

#39842  by Valerie Royston

Hi There,
I'm interested in any history relating to Mike Royston's Side Winder junior dragster, if it helps it ran a very heavily modified 1220 a series engine and was painted Rootes electric blue with pearl exhaust headers out to the near side and a front wedge shaped fuel tank and I'd be forever great full if anyone out there has a picture of it that I could have a copy of please.
 #39844  by timetravel

I think the dragster in the near lane is Mike Royston's Side Winder junior dragster although the colours you mention are not the same. The race number JD24 was used Mike in '74 and several other competitors in the mid 70s so this could be the same car repainted...
A9I.jpg
A9I.jpg (111.27 KiB) Viewed 21279 times
 #39845  by Valerie Royston

Hi There,
Thanks for the picture, a lot of it looks right as your correct on the number and it looks like it has a vertex magneto on the off side which Side Winder certainly had, alas I can't make out the Fuel injection which should be just above it to confirm it which was a bit unusual for the class as it was originally designed for Mike by John Whitmore and similar to on his own dragster.
The other thing which looks right are the revolution rear wheels which were bought after Mike persuaded Dunlop to let him have a couple of slicks "to test" and were too big for the old rear steel wheels.
Rather interestingly as well it could possibly be a lady driver and have been repainted as Side Winder was sold lock stock and barrel to a lady at the Blackbush meeting although not certain if she ever did much with it as from what I know she snapped the crankshaft and blew the engine first run as had the wrong engine oil mixture.
Hopefully someone out there may come across it in it's original blue.
Best regards
Valerie
 #39846  by timetravel

The lady driver would have been Janet Trinder who's listed as running it during the later half of '74
 #39847  by timetravel

Just found this pic which ties up more with your description, looks like it's got injection on it too...
1974 054.jpg
1974 054.jpg (130.74 KiB) Viewed 21270 times
 #39848  by Valerie Royston

Hi There,
Thanks ever so much for your picture, almost thought that was it but alas very similar if it helps on the side of the body which was blue there was the name Sidewinder painted and a silver clockwork key, also I think Mike used to have a yellow helmet and certainly had a beige coloured fire suit.
Am eternally great full for all the help and replies, hopefully a pic will surface one day.
Best regards
Valerie
 #39850  by Valerie Royston

Message for Nick Pettite,
Hi Nick,
Please can you tell me where you came across the picture you posted, after a lot of thought you could be right and it's before it was painted with the Key mural and name on the side as noticed something very interesting in the back ground, Mike used to use a white Bedford crew bus as a tow/push car with a bolt on full width wooden push board which fastened to the front bumper and it looks very much the same in the background.
Best regards
Valerie
 #39852  by timetravel

The pic was given to me some years ago. It was taken at Blackbushe 7th April 1974 and Sidewinder was definitely at that meeting.

I've got an audio recording of the meeting on my site and there's a recording of Sidewinder racing Maurie Thomas in his Lotus racing car.

If you go on this link http://timetraveldvds.blogspot.com/2017 ... drags.html you'll find the recording at the top of the page. You can click on it to download it and the Sidewinder race is at 10:20.
 #39854  by stevebradley

Hi, I think I can fill you in with all details re; JD24 (DARK HORSE) from buying it in October 1975 until its demise in 1979.
Purchased the car from Mike Lennon (who lived in Surrey)
Will post pictures and story when I locate files. Cheers , Steve Bradley.
 #39855  by Valerie Royston

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your post, that confirms it's history as from what I know Mike sold it at the early Blackbush meet to Mike and his girlfriend down in Surrey but wasn't aware it was then later sold again, so again many thanks for getting in touch.
I'll be really great full if you can post any pics and anything about when you had it.
When Mike first got it it was only running on carbs and then added the injectors and high pressure fuel pump which upped the power no end as from what I recall it was also on 40/60 percent nitro and methanol by then and snapped both drive shafts first time it was run but soon solved with nickel chromium ones.
The other thing I recall is when Mike did the deal with Dunlop and fitted the Wolfrace wheels, if they were still on it when you bought it, as the tyres were so low profile the chassis frame touched the ground just below the engine and had to be amended so that it formed a sort of a slim banana.
Nice to wander down memory lane and really look forward to anything you can post.
Best regards
Valerie